Humana Inc., is a health and well-being company based out of Louisville, KY. We started out as a nursing home company back in 1961…who knew that decades later we would be listed as a Fortune 500 company for 25 years! Today we are home to 50,000+ employees who help to serve our 14.2 million members on a daily basis. Together we are dedicated to helping both our members and employees in becoming the healthiest version of themselves – covering all ends of the spectrum from physical health to mental health. This past year, we have been ranked on the best places to work in IT by Computer World and placed on both Forbes’ lists of Best Employers for Diversity and America’s Best Employers for New Grads!
While we may be well known for our efforts in the insurance space, Humana is a tech company at its core. We would not be able to function the way we do today without the solutions, support, and analytical insights provided by our IT organization! We are currently seeking interns who are interested in joining our team and bringing fresh new perspectives to the world of health using technology as a conduit.
A key ingredient to our program’s success has revolved around our dedication to our internship being a developmental program – meaning you do not need to know everything when you join the IT team as an intern! We are here to help teach and guide you along the way by providing learning sessions, resources, and workshops. You will have a safe space to learn and be given autonomy to bring your creative solutions to very real problems. Interns are also provided multiple opportunities for networking throughout the summer! One networking event in particular that is back by popular demand are the coffee chats that we host with anyone and everyone from directors up to our CIO! On top of that, you will be exposed to the latest technologies and best practices within a Fortune 500 company. The solutions developed by past and current interns are accessible to over 50,000+ Humana associates, which means no “coffee run” projects here – only meaningful work!
Enterprise Information Protection (EIP) has a mission to inspire trust and enable growth for Humana. The program is chartered to protect information assets by maintaining the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of Humana’s information that fuels the delivered experience for Humana’s associates and members. We enable business while ensuring compliance, achieving high industry standards, and effectively prioritizing threat management to protect the organization. As an intern in EIP you will have the opportunity to work with cyber security specialists and learn how Humana protects user and member data against cyber threats and hackers. Past interns have helped to define and implement security controls, worked with security technology and have supported security operations and risk management.
We have several areas with Internship opportunities for next summer. Read below to find the best fit for you and your career goals!
Strategy and Enablement
Oversees EIP’s strategic priority to deliver a contemporary and frictionless cybersecurity experience for our employees and members, while strengthening our cyber maturity and preparing for technology modernization and enterprise cloud migration. This includes Talent Management, Budget/Finance, Portfolio/Project Management as well as Training and Awareness
Architecture, Engineering, Innovation, and Cyber Risk Management
Oversees and innovates security architecture, mitigates cyber risks, provides governance and policy and compliance oversight, establishes controls and ensures proper control implementation with assurance. Drives the strategy, design, and performance of security technology and solutions, service enablement, and automation; drives an end-to-end cyber risk lifecycle capability across the enterprise in a unified cyber risk management function.
Cyber Security Operations Center
24X7 Cyber Security and Counter Threat Operations by monitoring, detection and response to cyber events and incidents and for leading proactive threat management, data security and vulnerability/config management efforts by leveraging analytics to develop insights and detection capabilities.
Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI)
Oversees and analyzes situational awareness related to threat and threat actors and provide cyber threat and cyber threat landscape warnings by consuming and generating intelligence in three areas – tactical, operational, and strategic – while performing research, analysis and external collaboration.
Identity and Access Management (IAM)
Oversees processes and technologies to connect Humana’s internal and external users with the information, applications and data they need every day. Simply put, Identity and Access Management works to ensure that the right users have the right access at the right time to the right resources for the right reasons.
Cyber Business Alignment
Oversees and integrates the company’s cyber and information protection strategy into the business strategy and execution, and serve as a liaison between Humana’s information security organization and Humana’s lines of business. Responds to client cyber inquiries as our segments bring in new business for Humana and is accountable for the cyber governance of new acquisitions and joint ventures as they integrate with Humana’s.
Although there is no need to choose a certain path now, you are more than welcome to share your preference with your college programs recruiter (sharing your preference does not guarantee placement in a given space.)
What’s in it for you?
- Collaborate with experienced professionals + past tech interns
- Gain real world experience along with industry, business, and technical knowledge
- Network with Humana’s leaders
- Competitive summer pay
- Paid Housing (if internship is not virtual)
- Opportunities for Advanced (juniors and below) offers after successful completion of Entry Program
- Part-time opportunities working remotely from school
- Full-time opportunities exist for upcoming graduates in the form of a competitive rotational Early Career Experience designed to allow the participant to build out their program the best way for their career path, while also consuming necessary knowledge to excel in Cyber Security and Humana
- Fun social and networking events all summer long
- Engaging virtual learning experience
- Available to work full-time for the FULL 12 Weeks of the program (late May to early August)
- Be a current student (3- 6 minimum credit hours) pursuing a degree related to the technology field (Computer Science, Information Systems, Informatics, Management Information Systems, etc)
- Have a curiosity + passion for learning
- Display self-motivation + initiative balanced with a collaborative attitude
- Work Eligibility: Humana does not provide visa sponsorship or OPT/CPT for our summer internship. For example, this would mean you are either a U.S. citizen, a Lawful Permanent Resident, or in Refugee or Asylee status and do not require visa sponsorship to be eligible
- Previous internship and/or work experience
- Actively involved on-campus and/or in your community
- Interest or experience specifically in cyber security and information protection
- Strong interest in health and well-being with a passion for helping others
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
Scheduled Weekly Hours