The Refugee Career Development intern reports directly to the Career Development Coordinator and supports efforts under IRC’s Career Development program. Career Development, a program within the Economic Empowerment Department, focuses on assisting clients to advance beyond entry-level jobs to skilled career pathways after resettlement. Specifically, the Career Development program provides career counseling, enrollment in post-secondary and recertification programs, and advanced job placement.
- Assist refugee clients individually and in group sessions to develop a career pathway and career advancement goals.
- Work one-on-one with clients to help them develop and revise resumes and LinkedIn profiles.
- Assist clients with enrollment in post-secondary training and certification programs .
- Research potential industries, employers, training programs, and trends in Atlanta workforce.
- Prepare clients for job interviews.
- Accompany refugee clients for job interviews and employment orientations.
- Provide general administrative support and maintain accurate records of Career Development program activities.
- Propose and develop other support services that serve the program goals and client’s needs.
- Strong interest in working with international clients.
- Proficiency with resume writing, LinkedIn and employment related activities .
- Proven ability to work with consideration and respect for cross-cultural differences.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs and internet research.
- Enthusiasm for helping people to learn and demonstrated professionalism.
- Interns must be able to work at least 15 hours a week for at least three months.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.