We are looking for a Development Intern to work closely with the Development team to fundraise and advocate for Karam Foundation. Along with day-to-day tasks and interactions, you will help plan and execute our World Refugee Day virtual benefit as well as push forward the team’s long-term projects and goals. In this role, you will help to empower the Karam team as well as Syrian refugee youth and families to build brighter futures for themselves and their communities.
You are passionate. You are drawn to the cause of empowering refugee communities and uplifting the work of organizations that do so. We would love it if you have experience with non-profits, as well.
You are a communicator. Whether it is verbal or written, you know how to craft and deliver a message to the person you are speaking to.
You are detail-oriented. You know that the small things make a difference and focus on the details in your work.
You love to learn. You are ready to jump in and absorb new ideas, projects, and skills and see them as immense opportunities for growth.
You thrive in team settings. Our team is small and mighty, every person plays a role in its success and you are able and willing to jump in(even if remote!).
While day-to-day tasks with the development team will be varied, these are some of the projects you may take on over the summer:
- Provide support with the planning and execution of the World Refugee Day virtual benefit, including outreach, language, and back-end management
- Steward donors through calls, emails, or handwritten letters
- Conduct research on various topics, which may include grassroots donors, peer-to-peer fundraising, volunteer programs, corporate partnerships, and data tracking
- Draft and/or manage various surveys to our donor/supporter base
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Passion for empowering refugee communities
- Ability to effectively communicate and work on a team, even while remote
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and good time management skills
- Driven to learn new skills and go the extra mile
- Nonprofit experience (preferred)
- Experience with Google Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, etc.) and Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) preferred
We are a Syrian-led organization founded in 2007 in Chicago. We have been supporting Syrian communities in Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and the US since 2011. We’ve developed various innovative education projects including community innovation centers (Karam House) for refugee teenagers in Turkey and a higher education scholarship program for refugee youth, as well as sustainable development and smart aid projects to address the evolving obstacles that Syrians face.
We have built two Karam Houses, innovative workspaces in Istanbul and Reyhanli, Turkey, which defy traditional approaches to refugee education. At Karam Houses, hundreds of Syrian refugee teens learn through access to technology (maker spaces, internet, computers), expert mentorship (Syrians refugee architects and engineers), and a sophisticated design-based curriculum (developed by MIT grads) that teaches youth how to build their ideas and their community.
We think about refugees and humanitarian aid differently and so we do things differently. We believe in investing deeply in communities affected by conflict. We are on a mission to build 10,000 Leaders for the Future of Syria by 2028.
DURATION & HOURS
Mid-May through August (although we are flexible) and 15 hours per week.
While we are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our HQ is in Lake Forest, IL and prefer local candidates. We welcome (excellent) remote candidates.
$15 per hour