The Payroll Specialist at the King County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) is an exciting opportunity to join a team responsible for processing a complex payroll for more than 1,100 employees in KCSO! We are currently going through a conversion from semi-monthly to bi-weekly payroll and invite you to apply and be a part of our team.
The payroll processes performed are some of the most complicated in the county and contain many variables based on multiple labor contracts, Sheriff’s Office policies, procedures and past practices. The successful candidate welcomes new challenges and is able to analyze, investigate and problem solve. The position will work directly with all levels of management and provide high-level customer service to commissioned and non-commissioned roles.
• Process payroll (overtime, attendance exceptions, holiday pay, action pay, step increases, leave donations) and all other routine maintenance functions.
• Prioritize workload and monitor to make sure all deadlines are met.
• Review overtime slips for coding and compliance, validation reports for overtime accuracy and attendance reports for accuracy.
• Review, calculate and process specialty pay(s) including; lead, out of class, standby, and contract related premiums. Periodically, audit special records to ensure labor contracts and memorandums of understanding (MOU) are met.
• Interpret established payroll rules and procedures for labor contracts in addition to County and State rules and regulations to internal and external customers. Respond to third party inquiries regarding employee payroll data.
• Perform special assignments and projects as needed.
• Organize, oversee, and maintain payroll files.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Qualified candidates will have a minimum of two years demonstrated experience performing financial/payroll processes with knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- Interpreting and analyzing policies and procedures;
- Advanced problem-solving skills;
- Ability to respond to unanticipated requests and work in a high-pressured environment with strict deadlines while remaining calm and professional;
- Strong ability to successfully organize and multi-task, working with various forms of data;
- Proven experience validating and reconciling reports
- Working cohesively with a team to meet objectives as well as working independently with minimal supervision;
- Basic skills in Microsoft Excel
- Exceptional communication and customer service skills (with diverse audiences) orally, written and in person and the ability to be diplomatic and sensitive while effectively communicating information
- Reliable and predictable attendance
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
For a more detailed description of the duties and responsibilities of this position, and to apply, please visit http://www.kingcounty.gov/jobs The salary range for this position is $27.24 – $34.53 hourly. The closing date is September 20, 2021.