We are looking for a part-time, temporary COVID-19 Support Specialist to join our Regional COVID-19 Operations Team. The COVID-19 Support Specialist is an independent, self-motivated, and personable team member who will travel between and support a set of approximately 8 KIPP schools with COVID-19 testing, data tracking, and contact tracing. The COVID-19 Support Specialist is a partner to our schools and Regional Support Office; a supportive trainer for KIPP students and staff; and an adept project manager able to maintain multiple COVID-19 tracking and response touch points across our school communities.
This role is a non-exempt, temporary, and flexible part-time (~30-35 hours/week) position that may require work on some weekends and evenings. The Specialist will work primarily on-site, with travel to KIPP school campuses 3-4 days each week. When not required to be on-campus, this position can work remotely from home or at our regional office in downtown Oakland.
This role reports to the Regional Operations Manager.
- Minimum of two years professional experience in customer service, office management or operations required
- Comfortable at schools or working in an educational environment strongly preferred
- Previous work experience with school-aged children strongly preferred
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Some college preferred
- A sincere desire to protect others, make a difference and be of service to our communities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and completing projects according to precise specifications
- Ability to work independently while demonstrating the capacity to work well with others and build relationships across teams
- Familiarity with basic office technology and virtual work tools, including Zoom and Google Suite
- Valid driver’s license, a clean driving record, and a safe, reliable, and insured vehicle for work
- Knowledge of health and safety, including a basic understanding of COVID-19 science, prevention, and response strongly preferred
- Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
COVID-19 Testing & Logistics
- Effectively communicate with each school campus’ leadership, operations staff, and classroom teachers to organize and facilitate on-site COVID-19 testing of students and staff.
- Set up and maintain testing stations and supplies at each assigned KIPP school campus, including tracking testing supplies and inventory, ordering new test kits, and clearly labeling and prepping test kits for use.
- Supervise all on-site COVID-19 testing, which includes directing groups of students and staff through the steps to self-administer the test and seal their sample, while following standard safety precautions (e.g., wear appropriate PPE like face mask and gloves). Please see here for an outline of how the COVID-19 samples are collected.
- Collect test samples, scan them into the data system, safely package them for transport, and coordinate shipment to the state lab for processing, including meeting clear deadlines for shipping test samples.
- Update and maintain the online testing platform, including verifying patient information and checking in patients for testing.
COVID-19 Contact Tracing
- Daily monitoring of data portal, including specific review of test results 24-48 hours after test collection for each school supported.
- Notify the Regional Pandemic Coordinator and School Leadership of any positive cases.
- Support School Leadership in contact tracing efforts.
- Support Regional Pandemic Coordinator with the information needed to report to the local county health department.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Support Regional Operations Manager with other health & safety initiatives at our schools (e.g., checking first aid and PPE supply levels, confirming the placement of evacuation maps throughout campus, etc.)
- Support schools with vaccine clinic partnerships (e.g., assist clinic partners with set-up and clean-up of campus)
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands
Ability to navigate office and school campuses, and hold meetings in different spaces. Traditionally, much of the day involves a mix of sitting, standing, and walking. Ability to access and utilize technology. Occasional lifting/carrying of equipment and supplies up to 50 lbs.
The stress of deadlines and normal work standards, ability to analyze problems and generate alternatives, work with interruptions, concentrate for long periods of time, read, calculate, perform routine math problems, memorize and recall objects and people.
Frequent travel to multiple schools. Office and classroom settings, with occasional interruptions and distractions. Some work may be conducted virtually, and the expectation is that the individual will establish a productive, remote work environment (e.g., ability to stay connected through different technology means). It may require remote work as current public health guidelines warrant.
Part-time, non-exempt position
About KIPP Public Schools Northern California
We are a thriving nonprofit network of 17 free, public charter schools open to all students. At KIPP, we believe all children should grow up free to create the future they want for themselves and that schools can and should be a critical factor in making that vision a reality. Together with families and communities, we create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Our student community consists of over 7,000 elementary, middle, and high school students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, Redwood City, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Stockton. 79% qualify for free or reduced-price lunch, 23% are multilingual learners, and 10% have special needs. We strive to cultivate a representative team of teachers and leaders that reflect our students’ diversity.
We are dedicated to you and your family’s well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.