The Managing Director of Real Estate and Facilities will join the team at KIPP Northern California during an exciting phase of growth and real estate development. This is a senior leadership role that will partner with the CFO in driving our real estate and facilities strategy, and will oversee the Real Estate and Facilities teams (3 teammates).
This leader is responsible for ensuring that we are successful in delivering and maintaining stable, safe, affordable teaching and learning environments to support our growth to 10,000 students and the execution of our 2025 Strategic Plan. Over the next four years KIPP is entering the peak of our real estate construction as we construct new facilities to support our growth in Stockton, and improve the quality of our facilities in the Bay Area. As such, this leader is charged with ensuring that our facilities design supports our academic model, and that multiple construction projects are delivered on time and on budget. Furthermore, this leader will build key district and community relationships in partnership with our advocacy team, conveying our organization’s vision and advocating for adequate space and quality facilities, to ultimately secure and maintain the health of our real estate portfolio. Safe and stable learning environments are essential so that our School Leaders and instructional staff can remain focused on teaching and learning, enabling our students, schools, and communities to thrive.
The Managing Director of Real Estate and Facilities will report to the CFO and work from our downtown Oakland offices, with frequent travel to our schools and local communities throughout the Bay Area and Stockton. The role is available immediately.
Qualifications & Required Skills
The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep passion for social justice and educational equity, extensive executive leadership and relationship-building skills, and strengths in cultural competence, strategic communication, stakeholder management, and team development. Successful candidates will be deeply committed to KIPP Northern California’s imperative to disrupt racial inequities, and will bring the courage and skill to respectfully interrupt conversations and behaviors laden with unconscious, implicit, or explicit bias.
The individual will have a history of leading real estate development of several projects simultaneously to achieve ambitious outcomes on time and on budget. Additionally, successful candidates will bring experience building coalitions internally and externally to achieve ambitious outcomes, and representing an organization in high-stakes negotiations. They will be energized by navigating the complex real estate and political environments in CA; be a devotee to planning and contingency planning in order to see around corners and anticipate challenges to keep projects on time; be skilled at written and verbal communications to tell the KIPP story and represent the organization externally; and be a team-builder who motivates their team to overcome challenges and win to deliver high-quality facilities to further the mission of KIPP Northern California.
Education & Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- At least 10 years of real estate development and facilities management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead the strategic acquisition, development and/or rehabilitation of several real estate projects simultaneously of $75M or greater.
- Demonstrated ability navigating complex political dynamics to ensure project delivery.
- Proven management of new construction and rehabilitation projects from inception through close-out on time and on budget including: feasibility analysis, lease/land negotiation and acquisition, entitlement, organization and management of the project team, financial pro-forma development, financing, and contingency planning.
- Proven ability in organizing both internal and external project development teams and working with the development partner, architect, legal team, contractor, Academics Team, and others to design the project and secure funding in partnership with the Chief Financial Officer.
- Demonstrated ability to work with senior leadership and Board of Directors.
- Proven team leader and culture builder, who excels at building strong relationships with people from all backgrounds/roles, and exercises influence.
- K-12 education experience preferred.
- Real Estate Strategy: Drive the success of our ambitious multi-year real estate and facilities strategy to secure and maintain stable, safe, affordable, teaching and learning environments across our portfolio of 21 schools in the Bay Area and Stockton. Over the next four years of peak construction, this leader is responsible in partnership with the CFO for the deployment of ~$140M in capital expenditures across an estimated seven projects, five of which are based in Stockton. Partners with the Managing Director of Public Affairs to understand political dynamics within each community to build a clear strategy for engaging key stakeholders and influencers towards successful real estate outcomes.
- Real Estate Project Delivery: Leads new construction and rehabilitation projects from inception to close-out. Progress monitors projects led by the Director of Real Estate and Director of Facilities on construction and rehabilitation projects and pushes in to clear the path or thought partner on complex issues. Organizes the Real Estate and Facilities teams, development partner, Academics team, development partners, architect, legal team, contractor, CFO and key advisors to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of each project, and puts in place systems and structures to ensure success on multiple concurrent projects. Models and holds team accountable for putting in place realistic, high quality project plans and timelines with multiple contingency plans.
- Lease Negotiation: Oversees KIPP’s portfolio of ~20 facility leases and is responsible for leading and supporting the negotiation of new leases and renewal of existing leases at attractive terms, ensuring KIPP has the space necessary to deliver our academic program and operate with continued stability. The MD of Real Estate and Facilities will be responsible for leading a subset of negotiations, typically for long-term leases, and also will support the Director of Real Estate and Director of Facilities in other lease negotiations. Collaborates with the Managing Director of Public Affairs to build proactive partnerships with district staff and elected officials to support successful lease negotiations and renewals. Oversees the Prop 39 application process for schools with expiring short term leases.
- Facilities Maintenance: Supports the Director of Facilities in the development and execution of an integrated facilities maintenance strategy across existing and future KIPP schools to ensure stable, safe, teaching and learning environments. Approves and reinforces clear roles and responsibilities, regional standards, and a clear process for escalation across routine janitorial, routine repairs and maintenance, and major maintenance. Supports the Facilities team in our annual facilities assessment, as well as prioritization and execution of major maintenance projects. Co-designs, pilots, and supports the implementation of a responsive and financially sustainable deferred maintenance model over nine schools.
- Clears the path for strong cross-departmental collaboration with Regional and School Operations teams. Models clear communication and expectation setting with School Leaders and Directors of School Operations.
- Board and Advisor Engagement: Leverages the knowledge and expertise of key real estate advisors through regular touchpoints to ensure successful execution of our real estate strategy. Serves as the staff lead for the Facilities Advisory Council, which meets quarterly to review the health of our real estate portfolio and progress monitor active projects. In partnership with the CFO, presents real estate projects to the Board of Directors for approval.
- Team Management and Leadership: Collaborates with senior leaders, including the CFO, Chief Growth Officer, MD of Public Affairs, Managing Director of Academics, and COO, to ensure that our real estate and facilities design, and operation is integrated cross-functionally with our academic, financial, and operational vision. Encourages and supports cross-functional collaboration to build strong scalable real estate and facilities systems. Effectively manage and develop the Director of Real Estate and Director of Facilities with an assets-based approach, cultivating a collaborative and inclusive team culture that seeks to coach and empower direct reports; and where diverse backgrounds and perspectives are respected and valued.
- Disrupt Racial Inequities: Demonstrate the courage and skill to respectfully interrupt conversations, behaviors and systems laden with unconscious, implicit or explicit bias. As a senior leader in the organization, actively champion our commitment to anti-racism through ongoing inquiry, implementation of systems and structures to advance equity, and contribute demonstrated results towards our vision for DEI while holding others accountable to doing the same.
- Other duties as assigned
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands
Physical: Ability to navigate office and school campuses, and hold meetings in different spaces. Traditionally, much of the day involves sitting. Ability to access and utilize technology. Occasional lifting/carrying of equipment 1-20 lbs.
Mental: Stress of deadlines and normal work standards, ability to analyze problems and generate alternatives, work with interruptions, concentrate for long periods of time, read, calculate, perform routine math problems, memorize and recall objects and people.
Environmental: Office environment subject to constant interruptions and distractions. Frequent travel to schools and other locations. In an emergency context (e.g., pandemic), work may be conducted virtually fully or partially for extended periods of time or longer, and the expectation is that the individual will establish a productive, remote work environment (e.g., ability to stay connected through different technology means). It may require remote work as current public health guidelines warrant.
This is a full-time, exempt position that follows the regional support office calendar & time-off policy.
About KIPP: Together with families and communities, KIPP’s mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose — college, career and beyond — so they can lead fulfilling lives and create a more just world. Our vision is that every child grows up free to create the future they want for themselves and their communities.
About KIPP Northern California: KIPP Public Schools Northern California is a nonprofit network of 17 open-enrollment, high-performing, public charter schools that prepare all students for fulfilling lives. We currently educate over 6,500 students in grades TK-12 in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, Redwood City, and Stockton. We also support over 2,000 alumni in college. Building on a 19-year track record of success, we are both expanding to Stockton to launch an additional 4 schools over the next 4 years; and evolving our model to be more equitable, responsive, and impactful in supporting the needs of our students. This includes an emphasis on social-emotional learning and restorative practices, deeper community engagement and advocacy efforts, and an organizational commitment to becoming antiracist.
Our Commitment to Equity: At KIPP NorCal, we have committed to embed equity into the core of who we are and what we do. We believe equity is achieved by actively pursuing anti-racism and by taking action to ensure that everyone has what they need to thrive, be empowered and reach their potential. We will hold ourselves accountable to continuous learning and improvement as we work together to implement our vision with courage and humility.
We are dedicated to you and your family’s well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.