Responsible for the overall administration and organization of the LU Cheerleading and Dance Programs. This role will be a leader and mentor for collegiate cheerleaders and dancers. Opportunity for creative expression and lead including choreographing unique routines for cheer and dance that will be used in all LU performances and appearances.
Essential Job functions:
- Organizes all practices, performances, community and Lamar University appearances including but not limited to University Events, Volunteer and Community Service, Football games and Men’s and Women’s Basketball games.
- Choreographs all cheers, chants, and dances used for Football games, Men’s and Women’s Basketball games and extra events. As well as produce music for special event performances as needed.
- Tests, design and implement the team’s physical strength and conditioning program. Explain and demonstrate use of apparatus and equipment. Collaborate with the Athletic Department’s trainers to ensure all physicals and insurance information is being collected and implementing proper training techniques to keep injury rates as low as possible.
- Organizes all recruiting events such as but not limited to clinics and workshops on and off campus. (Recruits from local and non-local high schools and junior colleges, and state and national dance team conventions.)
- Prepares and manage both the Cheerleading and Dance Teams budgets. This includes selecting and ordering all uniforms, equipment and materials needed throughout the year and maintaining proper records of all transactions.
- Creates and maintain all marketing material for both teams. This includes pictures, flyers, videos, Recreational Sports website, and all social media.
- Observes and coach team members during practice to detect and correct mistakes using proper techniques.
- Drills the team in execution of cheers, chants, tumbling, stunting, and dance skills. Explain and demonstrate principles, techniques, and methods of regulating movement of the body to achieve proficiency in movement.
- Meets with individuals regarding academic progress.
- Designs and implement all policies, procedures, and risk management safety rules and regulations.
- Select, train, and supervises both the part-time Assistant Cheer Coach and part-time Assistant Dance Coach.
- Issues and store all inventory, equipment, materials, supplies and uniforms.
- Maintains complete and accurate records as required (i.e. attendance forms, waivers, insurance records, receipts, deposits, accounting records, etc.)
- Oversees the safety conditions of the facility/area in which the assigned activity or event is being conducted at all times.
- Works closely with the Band Director, Office of Student Engagement, and the Department of Athletics, as appropriate, in scheduling Cheer and Dance team travel activities, events, performances and appearances.
- Enforce discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times; establish and oversee activity penalties for breach of such standards by individual team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director, Setzer Student Center and Recreational Sports.
- Health insurance and other benefits as an employee of the State of Texas.
- Tuition assistance is provided to employee, a spouse and/or eligible dependent children.
Education and Experience Required:
Degree: Bachelor’s degree required
• At least three years’ experience of coaching a dance or cheer team. Preference given to candidates that have combined experience.
• AACCA (USA Cheer) certified
• Must be able to demonstrate proper techniques used in cheerleading and dance as well as spot tumbling skills and stunts.
• Requires excellent communication skills, writing skills, organizational skills and the ability to motivate and manage team members.
Other Data: Must possess strong supervisory and leadership skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills with students, faculty, staff, guests, and co-workers.
Demonstrate ability to communicate both verbally and in writing required. Willingness and availability to work flexible shifts, evening and weekend work required pending activities.
Equipment Used: Computer and related equipment (database, excel, word-processing, telephone, printer, copier, calculator, and fitness assessment equipment. All types of recreation/sports equipment, cheerleading tumbling mats and spotting devices, and exercise and fitness equipment.
Environment Condition: Office setting, overhead and indirect lighting fluctuating internal climate control (levels of heating, cooling, and general air handling may vary), frequent visitors and work flow interruptions, numerous incoming calls. Recreational activities areas, both indoor and outdoor, including but not limited to dance studios, gyms, football fields, basketball courts, parking lots and theatrical stages. Weather conditions such as extreme heat/cold, rain and wind.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs. Position is very active and requires physical movement. Majority of your time will be spent on your feet.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas SB 805, Section 657.003.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Job Posting Link: Lamar University | Coordinator, Cheer & Dance #497017