Lamar University is looking for a people-oriented candidate who enjoys problem solving and contributing successfully to a customer-centric team for the Service Desk Specialist position. The Service Desk Specialist serves as the first point of contact for customers seeking technical assistance in person, over the phone or email. This position is expected to provide effective and efficient technical support on various tier one IT related platforms. Tier 1 IT issues could consist of but are not limited to authentication issues, WiFi connectivity and IT ticket requests. Must be willing to work flexible schedule as needed. The goal is to make sure that customer value is maintained to the standards set forth by the Information Technology division. This position is security sensitive.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure customer satisfaction by responding to the calls and in-person visits to the Service Desk with courtesy and professionalism.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve basic technical issues
- Walk the customer through the problem-solving process
- Accurately log all customer request and incidents following standard procedures.
- Escalate incidents and requests as appropriate to the correct Tier 2 support staff using standard procedures.
- Follow up with customers to ensure resolution of work orders/service tickets.
- Pass on any feedback or suggestions by customers to the appropriate internal teams
- Train and monitor student employees.
- Develop internal support procedures and documentation for customer self-service support capabilities.
- Collaborate with the team on improving the procedures and operations of the service desk
- Performs additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Health insurance and other benefits as an employee of the State of Texas.
- Tuition assistance is provided to employee, a spouse and/or eligible dependent children.
Entrance Qualifications and Experience:
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Attentiveness to detail, excellent organizational skills, and multitasking
- Ability to communicate effectively to help customers fix their issues and feel satisfied with the experience
- Advanced telephone and e-mail etiquette
- Good understanding of computer systems, mobile devices and other tech products
- Strong aptitude and initiative for learning
- Knowledge of computer software systems including databases, office applications, and operating systems
- Ability and willingness to work cooperatively with a diverse population
- Works well in team environment, must be a team player
Education and Experience
• Associates degree required within a computer or business-related field.
• Three (3) years of technical or customer service-related work experience is required.
• Previous Service Desk experience required.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Job Posting Link to Apply: Lamar University | Service Desk Specialist #495755