*Job is subject to close
About the Role:
The Los Angeles Unified School District is committed to providing healthy environments conducive to learning, for all students. We promote practices on campuses that support positive interactions to ensure that student voices are heard, and community involvement is valued. This commitment will provide a focus on instruction and support, leading to academic success for our students.
The School Climate Advocate positions have an anticipated start date of July 1, 2021. As part of this goal, L.A. Unified is hiring a team of School Climate Advocates who will support school administrators and school site personnel in supporting a safe and welcoming environment for students, staff, and community members at our campuses.
School Climate Advocates will build positive relationships with students and use strategies to effectively promote social and emotional learning and positive school culture and climates at their campus. School Climate Advocates will be trained on using a wide range of strategies to strengthen student engagement, de-escalate negative situations, resolve conflicts, and ensure equity on school campuses.
Working closely with students and school-site personnel, under the direction of the school site, administrator, the School Climate Advocate, will:
· Support school site personnel in implementing multi-tiered systems of support and the District’s school site safety policies to build positive school climates.
· Support school personnel with student mediation and conflict resolution.
· Provide support to traditionally marginalized groups and identify available resources within the school, the District, and community per the site administrators’ direction.
· Participate in school-wide group guidance programs that support mentoring and other strategies to improve students’ nonacademic skills and engagement.
· Participate in school site committees, Safe Passages Collaborative meetings, and collaborative problem solving to develop student action plans with school personnel.
· Provide information to school site administrators regarding causes and effects of campus and community tension.
· Collect and disseminate information regarding disorderly or disruptive conduct or other situations and alert school site administrators when an emergency exists.
· At a minimum, candidates must have graduated from high school or possess evidence of equivalent educational proficiency and have completed at least two college courses in psychology, sociology, counseling, or another related field.
· One year of related experience may substitute for the required college courses. The ability to speak another language other than English may be required for some positions.
· A valid California driver’s license and the availability of private transportation or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation may be required for some positions
Paid premiums for your choice of several medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans.
Retirement: Membership in the California Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS).
Two weeks of paid vacation to start.
PLEASE NOTE: School Climate Advocates are 10 month (B basis) positions – Paid vacation time will be accrued for days worked during the 10 month period. Vacation time is not accrued during the 2 months that are not assigned. Actual paid vacation will be pro-rated to those 10 months assigned.
Paid Holidays: 11 days