This position is a non-supervisory, unclassified position, in the Payroll section of the Office of Accounting Services. The primary purpose of this position is processing personnel forms for graduate assistants, faculty and professional staff for the Baton Rouge Paid campuses – LSU A&M in Baton Rouge, LSU Agricultural Center, and Pennington Biomedical Research Center, and LSU in Eunice, Alexandria, and Shreveport. This position requires a basic knowledge of the following LSU computer Workday systems: HCM, Payroll, and FIN.
- 30% Assists in processing monthly payroll for academic and professional employees among multiple campuses and includes running the retro pay calculation (for corrections and adjustments to prior period payrolls). Includes initiating the pay cycle event, resolving all error reports, and reviewing all audit reports. Balancing the payroll runs and generating reports for distribution.
- 20% Calculates gross pay and related deduction manual inputs for late personnel actions not processed with the retro pay cycle, including partial payments with no transactions in the database when payrolls are processed. Verifies academic and professional manual termination leave calculations. Calculates net overpayments for late terminations, completes the bank request sheets to recoup, and prepares journal entries and letters to set up receivables for recoupments.
- 15% Communicates with LSU departments and employees regarding transactions and activities affecting payrolls. Audits personnel and tax related forms for nonresident employees to ensure compliance with IRS regulations and federal tax treaties. Builds knowledge to stay abreast of employment and tax laws and LSU policies. Participates in seminars that provide guidance on payroll procedures to departments and in applicable Workday testing, providing input where appropriate.
- 10% Ensures that all taxable and non-taxable fringe benefits are correctly loaded in Workday for income and additional pay components so fringe benefits are properly included in the employee’s income and proper amounts are reported on the employee W-2 in accordance with IRS regulations. Updates the fringe benefits spreadsheets used in monthly balancing to the Workday system reports. Requires working knowledge of IRS regulations on taxable and nontaxable fringe benefits and of FASOP AS-12.
- 5% Processes replacement checks for lost and stale dated checks as well as those requiring replacement due to death in service, including preparation of related journal entries or ad hoc journal entries. Reviews the payroll stale-dated checklist at year end for accuracy.
- 5% Processes daily on-demand partial payments; refund checks; and replacement checks produced daily by the various payroll sections, which includes verifying that check dates and amounts are entered correctly; producing the settlement run; and calling in daily bank ACH file.
- 5% Assists with summer budget loads and balancing and those related to summer research payments.
- 10% Other duties and special projects as assigned by Payroll and Accounting Services management (as applicable).
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field; 24 hours of college accounting courses
Proficient with computers and advanced MS Office skills; 10-key by touch with a high degree of speed and accuracy. Experience applying standard accounting principles and proven verbal and written communication skills. Multi-tasking capabilities. Physical ability and hand-eye coordination necessary to use a computer terminal, calculator, copier, telephone, and other office equipment. Ability to sit in the same position for extended periods (3.5 to 4 hours) at a time using continuous hand motions when using a calculator or entering data in the computer system. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively through telephone and direct contact with individuals. Position: is not eligible for remote work; requires ability to conduct presentations and training; may require occasional overtime; may not allow leave during critical times due to workload; and may require occasional travel.
- A copy of your transcript(s) may be attached to your application (if available). However, original transcripts are required prior to hire.
- Please provide three professional references including name, title, phone number and e-mail address.
Additional Position Information:
- Background Check – An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
- Benefits – LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
LSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
LSU believes diversity, equity, and inclusion enrich the educational experience of our students, faculty, and staff, and are necessary to prepare all people to thrive personally and professionally in a global society. We celebrate diversity and are committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion. We actively seek and encourage qualified applications from persons with diverse backgrounds, cultures and experiences. To learn more about how LSU is committed to diversity and inclusivity, please see LSU’s Diversity Statement and Roadmap. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact the Office of Human Resource Management (email@example.com).
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed HR@lsu.edu