MassChallenge is looking for a Program Manager to be the point person for our startups providing day-to-day support during program cycles, as well as (and not less importantly) during application season, judging rounds, and afterward as teams join our alumni network. In addition to providing day-to-day support, you will also proactively identify ways to engage with the startups and support them at scale in working toward their goals and milestones.
The Program Manager, which reports to the Program Director, is the key liaison between startups across early-stage programs, MassChallenge staff, and the community-at-large. MassChallenge has set ambitious goals towards an evidence-based methodology that drives measurable startup outcomes and we are looking to grow our acceleration delivery team in Texas. If you’re looking to work with startups and support their ideas, this role is for you!
Our Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (I.D.E.A.): We are looking for individuals from underrepresented races, sexual orientations, genders, identities, abilities, and experiences to join our team, enhance our culture, and increase our diversity of thought. We recognize that skills are gained in many ways, whether it be through professional, academic, or lived experience. We also know that it’s not always easy to apply for a job if you’re not sure you check every box in the job description. There is no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate, so no matter your background and how you identify, we encourage you to apply for this job if it would make you excited to come into work every day.
A note on location: this position will be based out of our Houston office which is currently closed because of the global COVID-19 pandemic. This position will start virtual/remote which means you can be located anywhere in the U.S. to start while working Central Standard hours. We anticipate opening the office no earlier than January 1, 2021, at reduced capacity and with strict safety measures in place. Once our office opens, you would be expected to come in, and at this time we are not able to provide relocation assistance.
What You’ll Do
Support Startups and Early Stage Programs
- Inform the development and support execution of the Early Stage Program design (led by Acceleration Design team) by supporting:
- Deployment of tools into local and national programs
- Implementation of actions prescribed by Acceleration Design team
- Execution at local program level including:
- Sourcing of high potential, high impact startups
- Speaker recruitment and management
- Startup customer service oversight
- Assume lead over program-specific activities (events etc.) and judging rounds
- Support the Director in identifying KPIs and gand executing a plan that captures this data to support the larger thesis of a program that drives measurable outcomes.
- Be proactive about issues startups, experts, and alumni identify that need to be addressed in close collaboration with key stakeholders across the team.
- As relevant, support design and implementation of new programming including tracks and custom accelerator offerings for partners.
- Organize and run community events such as mentor matching, happy hours, pitch events etc.
- Support communication across the local program, to startups, and to other important partners/stakeholders.
- Represent MassChallenge in the community including through public speaking, attending or leading strategic events.
Who You Are
- You have 3-5 years experience: Ideally, you’ve previously worked in a high-paced and demanding customer service environment. You have experience working in a startup or with startups. You understand that startups deal with multi-faceted issues and have unique, highly specific needs.
- You are inspired by the MassChallenge mission to help entrepreneurs win; a true startup enthusiast.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to connect and engage with all stakeholders at varying levels.
- You are able to communicate in an engaging, effective, and professional way in both written and oral communication.
- You are data-driven and familiar with data collection tools and methodologies.
- You are proactive, forward-thinking, and able to anticipate issues/needs.
- You have the ability to think creatively developing fun, engaging, and innovative events/ideas, experience managing events is preferred.
- You take a collaborative approach and are able to work across teams and functions to achieve success.
- You are extremely organized with high attention to detail and a very strong ability to prioritize and manage time well.
- You are tech-savvy and quick to learn new technologies. You are competent in Microsoft excel including organizing and analyzing data.
Whether you’ve never heard of an accelerator, you’ve had your own startup, or you are new to the world of entrepreneurship, we use certain words at MassChallenge to describe our work that might be new to you. Here are a few words you have seen throughout this job description and what they mean to us:
- Program: A startup accelerator program at MassChallenge that is location or industry based that conducts its own applications, cohorts, and curriculum, such as MassChallenge Boston, MassChallenge Texas, or MassChallenge FinTech.
- Judging: MC Experts serve as judges to identify the top startups to participate in and rise as winners for any MC program. The various judging rounds include either an online or an ‘in-person’ pitch.
Who We Are
MassChallenge is the global network for innovators who are working to solve massive challenges. We connect startups, experts, corporations, and communities to grow and transform businesses and economies. At MassChallenge we:
- Help entrepreneurs build the next generation of transformational businesses by connecting them with the resources, partnerships, and communities that help them launch, grow, and scale their startups.
- Help our partners build, grow, and evolve their corporate innovation practices.
- Leverage the power of entrepreneurship to strengthen global innovation ecosystems.
How We Work
Our mission is to equip bold entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and to create meaningful change. Our mission is BIG and so we are a team that gives 110% to it every day. Our Guiding Principles ensure we stay true to our mission and our core beliefs:
- Put Community First
- Own It
- Love the Problem
- Build for Impact
- Connect and Collaborate
Why You Should Join Us
We believe working at MassChallenge is fulfilling because of the mission, challenging because of the pace and work, and rewarding because you get to build to the next step in your career here. When you join MassChallenge you join an incredible team and network of innovators and entrepreneurs, you take ownership over significant and strategically important projects, you focus on impact and output, and you help strengthen the global innovation ecosystem.
How to Apply
In addition to completing the online application and providing your resume, please include a one-page cover letter in which you tell us why this job is compelling to you.
Employment at MassChallenge is contingent upon verification of identity and eligibility to work in the country that the position is based in, based on applicable laws.