Under the direction of the County Superintendent, the Public Relations Coordinator develops, executes, and maintains a public relations strategy to maintain positive community relations for the Mendocino County Office of Education (MCOE). The coordinator maintains MCOE branding, updates website content, manages the agency’s social media presence, assists in the marketing of various MCOE programs and initiatives, and supports the County Superintendent’s public presence.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are examples of assignments performed by incumbents in this classification. It is not a comprehensive list of duties, nor is it restrictive regarding job assignments.
o Collaborate with the County Superintendent to create a communication plan that supports the agency’s strategic and operational goals; then execute the plan;
o Collaborate with the Executive Team to produce a communications and social media calendar;
o Generate news stories and respond to public inquiries in efforts to create a positive reputation in the community on behalf of the Superintendent and the agency;
o Write, edit, and disseminate information to print, electronic, web and specialty media pertaining to events and activities that support MCOE and public education;
o Consult with division, department, and program leaders to develop promotional materials and public relations content;
o Develop and maintain primary news media contacts;
o Recommend methods and activities to improve the agency’s public image;
o Assess and report on the effectiveness of communication strategies;
o Execute a results-driven social media strategy and online presence focused on Twitter and Facebook;
o Develop and curate engaging content for social media platforms;
o Manage projects for the MCOE website and regularly update content;
o Assist in the creation and editing of written, video, and photo content;
o Interact with social media users and respond to messages, inquiries, and comments;
o Attend events and produce live social media content;
o Create systems that enforce institutional graphics standards;
o Reinforce MCOE’s brand and public image (i.e., make sure all promotional, marketing, and training materials adhere to brand guidelines and promote core messages);
o Assist MCOE staff as they develop presentations, publications, and other communications for use with external stakeholders;
o Review MCOE publications for clarity, format, content and conformity to printing and graphic standards; oversee and direct printing services; ensure the accuracy of print and online publications;
· Coordinate press conferences and presentations;
· Complete special projects and other assignments as assigned.
MCOE CORE VALUES
Service Anticipates the needs of others, especially of the Superintendent in his/her efforts to surpass stakeholder expectations; comes to work with a positive attitude;
Innovation Continually seeks to improve current communication processes for MCOE; creatively solves problems;
Teamwork Works collaboratively with MCOE employees and fosters positive relations between the Superintendent and employees;
Excellence Commits to continuous self-improvement, takes pride in work and strives to be meticulous and detail-oriented.
· Three (3) years of relevant, job-related experience and demonstrated competence in marketing and branding strategy, communications, and web/social media content development;
· Associates degree in communications, public affairs, journalism, or related discipline is preferred;
· Possess or obtain upon employment a valid California Driver License;
· Provide proof of automobile insurance;
· Meet the physical requirements necessary to perform assigned duties safely and effectively, including lifting twenty-five (25) pounds on an occasional basis and in excess of twenty-five (25) pounds with assistance.
· Knowledge of principles and practices of developing and maintaining effective public relations and collaborative relationships with members of the public, the business community, the news media, and local schools;
· Exceptional oral and written communication skills that translate into accurate, succinct communications for web, internal and external publications and special projects, including during a crisis;
· Strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing multiple projects concurrently;
· Understands technical aspects of news media, public relations writing and printing;
· Able to establish positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
· Able to convey technical information to varied and diverse audiences;
· Uses ethical principles and practices of marketing when disseminating information to the public;
· Able to operate a computer and software programs including but not limited to Canva, Google Suite, Microsoft Suite, and Adobe Acrobat. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite is preferred (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator);
· Able to create compelling content for various platforms: news releases, web content, social media, and sensitive correspondence;
· Able to analyze data to inform marketing and outreach decision-making, and to use the data to implement creative approaches to communication;
· Able to work under pressure, including meeting short deadlines and respond to urgent requests
· Able to work with minimum supervision;
· Able to maintain confidentiality;
· Able to identify target audiences and select appropriate message, format, and structure of communication;
· Able to plan and implement short- and long-term marketing and communication strategies;
· Able to operate a digital camera, video recorder and related equipment;
· Office environment;
· Multiple disruptions;
· Driving a vehicle to conduct work at offsite locations.
· Hearing and speaking to exchange information and make presentations;
· Seeing to read a variety of materials;
· Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard;
· Sitting for extended periods of time;
· Standing, walking, twisting, stooping, crouching, kneeling, bending over, grasping, reaching overhead, pushing, pulling and moving, lifting and/or carrying 0-25 pounds to waist height.
· Potential for contact with bodily fluids, blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases;
· Driving a vehicle during adverse weather conditions.