Summer Academic Assistant/Tutor & TA – Essential
Locations: Oakland, CA
Posted: Jun 2, 2021
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Part-time Temporary
Position ID: 131768
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master’s universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Position Title: Summer Academic Assistant/Tutor & TA
Reports To: Associate Director and Academic Advisor
Month/Year: This is a temporary position through August 2021 with the possibility of extension or renewal for the 2021-2022 academic year. Please note that students/persons hired for this position may have the ability to work an hourly position during the academic year (contingent upon fit) and return to work as a stipend Summer Academic Assistant in the Summer.
Mills College – TRIO Upward Bound
Upward Bound (UB) is a federally funded college preparatory program that offers assistance to low-income and first-generation college-bound students. The focus of Upward Bound is to develop skills needed for a college education. UB is dedicated to helping participating students graduate from high school with a solid foundation (i.e. completion of required coursework and a strong GPA) necessary for entering college. Upward Bound continues to support participants to ensure continued college enrollment and, ultimately, graduation.
The Mills College Upward Bound program has played an integral role in the Oakland Unified School District for the last 45 years and now begins a relationship with the West Contra Costa Unified School District to continue to build and expand close relationships with eligible students and their families. Our ultimate goal is to equip students with the skills and motivation necessary for college graduation.
Summary of Position:
The Upward Bound Summer Academic Assistant provides academic advising assistance and tutoring to students participating in the Mills College Upward Bound Summer Program. Advising services include information related to college admissions, financial aid, and other topics associated with pursuing a higher education and promoting a college-going culture. Works directly under the supervision of the Upward Bound Director/Academic Advisor. Please note that this position requires travel.
Essential Job Functions
• Tutoring Students during drop in Tutoring Hours.
• Being a Teacher Assistant and holding TA hours.
• Develop and implement classroom workshops.
• Assist with maintaining student records.
• Maintain inventory and restock Upward Bound supplies at school sites.
• Assist with the preparation of correspondence, flyers, social media, and other outreach materials.
• Assist and attend program orientations, training, field trips and meetings.
• Assist students with college and scholarship applications.
• Ability to attend some weekend and evening events.
• Ability to attend overnight college tours and events.
• Perform related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must have reliable transportation available.
• Must have experience and ability to effectively work with students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural backgrounds.
• Mission-driven and passionate about programs designed to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds.
• Knowledge regarding the college admissions process, financial aid, and other topics associated with pursuing a higher education and promoting a college-going culture.
• Excellent written and communication skills.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Background similar to Upward Bound Program participants is a plus.
• Demonstrated computer skills and proficient knowledge online platforms and student resource apps.
• Microsoft Office Suite is a plus.
• Requires passing fingerprinting and TB test.
• Bilingual/translation skills are a plus.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
Work involves sitting for hours on the computer which requires attention to detail and high levels of accuracy. Long hours during overnight travel and on call chaperoning during trips. Work includes multiple activities and services with varying deadlines and priorities. Some light lifting up to 20lbs. Driving is required.
This stipend position pay range is from $3,500 – $6,000 depending on duties assigned.
This is an at-will, grant funded position. The availability and continuance of this position is subject to ongoing funding from the grant
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills’ non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant’s background check must be cleared.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2292029
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
• Employee Application
• Cover Letter and
• Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 “Other” documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.