Job Summary: The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s Office is charged with investigating and determining the cause and manner in each case of sudden, unexpected, or unusual death. Under the directions of the Medical Examiner, the Assistant Medical Examiner will provide timely, accurate, and legally defensible determination of the cause and manner of death. This position will also enhance the public health and safety through reducing the incidence of preventable deaths.
- Perform medico-legal autopsies in a timely manner
- After reviewing autopsy findings and case histories for completeness and assigning or pursuing additional investigative work, assign cause and manner of death, sign death certificates.
- Order and interpret special laboratory tests, including toxicology analyses, microbiology and serology, radiology, or other tests to determine cause and manner of death.
- Provide court testimony regarding autopsy and investigative findings, act as expert witness in injury/disease.
- Generate timely written and photographic documentation in support of medical and investigative procedures and findings.
- Provide formal and informal lectures to medical students, college students and staff, including in-service presentations and community presentations.
- This position provides informal supervision and direction of Medical Examiner staff when investigating cause and or manner of death.
- Perform additional duties, including maintaining archives and other projects.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and willing to relocate to Wisconsin within six months of hire date
- Have a valid Driver’s License which can be maintained throughout employment
- Possess a Wisconsin Medical License (MD) AND be Board Certified by the American Board of Forensic Pathology are both required
- At least five (5) years working as a Pathology Residency AND completed at least a one (1) year fellowship in Forensic Pathology is required
- Ability to lift/carry up to 50lbs AND push/pull up to 100lbs on a frequent basis; as well as 400lbs with assistance when needed
- Note: Position requires a criminal background check; felony and some misdemeanor convictions would be a barrier to employment