This position exists to carry out Minnesota Environmental Quality Board’s authorities and oversight of the state’s Environmental Review (ER) Program. As part of a core staff team, this position serves as an expert in environmental review policies and rules, and management of the ER Program. They are responsible for analyzing environmental review issues, developing staff recommendations, giving technical assistance, and liaising with EQB member agencies and external groups. In addition, this position provides strategic direction for ER Program improvements, public engagement, and education and outreach. The position works with the ER Program Director and the Executive Director to develop and implement improvement projects that may include rulemaking, policy and program changes, and extensive public engagement with a wide variety of stakeholders and the public. This position will connect and align select agency programs, resources and work products for use by Minnesota local governments.
- Two years advanced professional experience in an environmental regulatory or assistance program. Experience related to leading and administering environmental projects or programs from initiation through conclusion.
- Experience with state agency and/or local government organizations and operations regarding environmental programs and policies sufficient to providing effective assistance to state and local agencies, businesses, environmental interest groups and the public.
- Ability to understand the regulation methods, practices, and technologies used in a broad range of environmental assessments.
- Ability to understand the Minnesota Environmental Policy Act and Minnesota Environmental Review Program requirements.
- Demonstrated skills in writing, editing and organizing materials.
- Ability to prepare and present technical presentations that are understandable by the general public and local government officials in order to provide potential clients with working knowledge of the state’s environmental review process.
- Broad knowledge of local, state and federal environmental laws, regulations and policies.
- Technical experience with evaluating and implementing environmental regulatory requirements.
- Experience with Minnesota Environmental Policy Act and implementing Minnesota Environmental Review Program requirements
- Experience with managing and facilitating diverse groups with competing interests on large, technically complex projects.
- Demonstrated experience in technical writing sufficient to develop Environmental Review Program guidance and educational materials.
- Experience preparing and/or reviewing Environmental Review Program documents.
Requires occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as file folders, ledgers, and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of moving about is often necessary in carrying out job duties.
Why Work For Us
Our mission is to protect and improve the environment and human health. We work with many partners (citizens, communities, and businesses, all levels of government, environmental groups and educators) to prevent pollution, conserve resources, and to help ensure pollution does not have a disproportionate impact on any groups of people.
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. We emphasize work-life balance, and strive to have an inclusive workplace for everyone.