Physics Instructor (2021)
For full details and to apply, go to the external application link on Handshake.
Type of Assignment: Full Time
Position Available: MiraCosta College’s Physical Sciences Department invites applications for one equity-minded, full-time (10 months per year), tenure-track faculty position beginning in August 2021. Principle responsibilities include teaching both algebra-based and calculus-based physics while collaborating with associate faculty and staff. The person selected will share leadership roles with other full-time instructors in coordinating and developing curriculum and using culturally-responsive pedagogical techniques and in coordinating the overall program. The ideal candidate will share our commitment to promoting academic excellence and engaging a racially and socioeconomically diverse student population, have recent experience teaching both lecture and lab, and will employ active learning and other instruction techniques shown by physics education research to increase success and retention rates for historically under-represented students in STEM fields.
Compensation: Initial salary placement is based on education and experience and ranges from $75,755 (class I, step 1) to $126,821 (class VI-doctorate, step 10) on the 2020-2021 Annual Salary Schedule. To view the Full-Time Faculty Salary Schedule, please go to https://miracosta.edu/hr/_docs/salary-schedule-faculty-assembly.pdf
MiraCosta College offers a comprehensive package of benefits, which includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans for employee and dependents; $100,000 employee life insurance; and other optional coverages. Faculty members are also covered under the California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS).
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
1. a Master’s degree in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics; or physics and astronomy [an approved comparable degree at MiraCosta College]; OR
2. a Bachelor’s degree in physics or astronomy AND a Master’s degree in engineering [can be in any engineering field (e.g., civil, electrical, chemical, mechanical)], mathematics, meteorology, or geophysics; OR
3. the equivalent. Applicants who do not possess the EXACT degree major(s) required to meet the minimum qualifications must attach an equivalency narrative and supporting documentation at the time of application. Instructions can be found at https://www.miracosta.edu/governance/equivalency-committee/_docs/equivalency-instructions.pdf; OR
4. a fully satisfied, lifetime California Community College credential authorizing instruction/service in the appropriate subject matter; AND
5. demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff.
Job Close Date: 5/7/2021
Open Until Filled:
First Screening Date:
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing an educational environment that affirms and supports diversity in its faculty, staff, and administration, and promoting an environment of inclusion. The college’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is expressed in the policy found at https://www.miracosta.edu/office-of-the-president/board-of-trustees/_docs/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion.pdf, and in MiraCosta College’s Institutional Values found at https://www.miracosta.edu/office-of-the-president/_docs/mcc_values.pdf
The college was designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) in 2013. This designation reflects the great responsibility that MiraCosta has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. We are a veteran and military supportive institution and an Achieving the Dream Leader College. The successful candidate will join a campus that exhibits its dedication to all students and faculty through offering robust, culturally-responsive events, including speaker series dedicated to heritage month events through the Social Justice and Equity Center.
Human Resources Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 760.795.6854
About MiraCosta College
MiraCosta College is one of California’s 115 public community colleges. The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, MiraCosta College benefits from multicultural influences and cultural opportunities. Both students and staff enjoy a friendly atmosphere and the feeling that we are all here to help one another. MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details, please visit our website at http://www.miracosta.edu/officeofthepresident/pio/aboutmcc.html
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.