Our internship program reflects our mission to inspire people to care for and protect our ocean planet through conservation, education and research. Internships are available fall, spring and summer in most departments, allowing students of all ages to experience the unique character of the Aquarium and enhance their personal and professional development.
Each semester is approximately 16 weeks long. The spring semester runs from January to May, summer from May to August and fall from September to December. Exact start and end dates may be flexible as determined by the departmental needs and interns’ schedule.
Applications are accepted year-round, however there are specific application deadlines for each semester as follows:
Spring September 30
Summer January 31
Fall May 31
Late applications will not be accepted.
Interns will learn to assist the Dive Safety Officer (DSO) run daily dive operations. Interns will be trained to provide daily support to the staff and volunteer divers both above and below the water. Through hands-on training our intern will become competent in the care and maintenance of our dive equipment and will gain experience about maintaining aquarium exhibits.
This internship is geared towards those interested in Aquarium Husbandry and running a Dive Safety Program through an Aquarium, University or Research facility.
- Must be dependable
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Must be able to regularly lift at least 50 pounds
- Must be comfortable speaking with the public in formal and informal settings
- Preferred Divemaster SCUBA Certified or above (AI, Instructor etc.)
- At least 50 logged dives in varying conditionsCPR/AED/O2 certification preferred
- Expected to pass a physical, SCUBA skill assessment and swim test including:
- 200 meter continuous swim in less than six minutes
- 300 meter continuous mask, fin, snorkel swim
- Tread water for 10 minutes or two minutes without hands
- Swim ½ pool length underwater (50 foot minimum)
- Tired swimmer tow ½ pool length (50 foot minimum)
- Surface dive for 10 pound weight retrieval to pool depth