North Cascades Institute seeks a qualified Skagit Tours Retail Assistant to work at the Skagit Information Center in Newhalem, WA. North Cascades Institute operates this sale site within the North Cascades National Park Complex, located approximately 60 miles east of Sedro-Woolley, WA.
The Skagit Information Center offers information to Park visitors as well as books, trail guides, maps, educational products, apparel, and mementos that appeal to a variety of visitors and inspire them to experience, enjoy and appreciate the North Cascades. The assistant will work with National Park Interpretive Rangers, Institute employees, and Seattle City Light employees to help visitors explore the ecosystems and increase their awareness, knowledge, and appreciation of the North Cascades National Park and the North Cascades.
This is a paid, full-time, seasonal position running from May 25 – September 26, 2021. In May and June, Retail Assistants should expect to work approximately 24 hrs over 3 days each week from Friday through Sunday. In July through September, please expect to work five days (approximately 40 hours) each week, including some weekends and holidays. It is possible to work less than 40 hours due to Covid program restrictions.
The ideal candidate is a creative, energetic, professional, motivated, cooperative team player willing to have fun. They possess a strong work ethic with motivation to grow professionally as an instructor and as a key staff member of a mission-driven organization.
This region of North America has been inhabited by native tribes for over 9,000 years and continues to be a meaningful location for thousands of visitors each year. Opened in 2005, the Learning Center is a collaboration between North Cascades Institute, the National Park Service, and Seattle City Light, the public utility that owns and operates the hydroelectric project that includes Diablo Lake and provides electricity to the residents of Seattle. The Learning Center is approximately 20 miles from the nearest gas station and post office, and 40 miles from towns with full amenities.
● Ability to work with people from diverse learning types, backgrounds, cultures, and ages
● Enthusiasm for learning and sharing about the North Cascades
● Good judgment, flexibility and ability to work independently and reliably
● Ability to lift and carry 30 pounds
● Ability to work flexible hours including weekends
● Ability to work and live in a small, rural community
● Final offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check
● Provide local information to visitors including Skagit Tours information
● Support and actively contribute to the Institute’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) initiatives
● Provide excellent customer service
● Handle sales transactions
● Maintain orderly and attractive appearance of retail area including timely merchandise displays
● Maintain a working knowledge of all stock in order to hand sell to visitors
● Maintain inventory stock in stores to meet sales; restock sites as needed
● Participate in season end inventories
● Develop expertise in use of Point of Sale (POS) system and cash register
● Maintain financial records for opening and closing of the till and the change bag
● Supply change for sales sites when needed
● Assist three additional retail sites with inventory needs, money handling, POS questions and supplies at Marblemount, Newhalem and Diablo Lake, all within 25 miles of the Newhalem Visitor Center
● Work with retail manager to assess and develop products, respond to customer product requests, and expand product selection
● Become versed in North Cascades Institute’s mission and programs to cultivate public awareness in conjunction with Park mission
● Collaborate with retail manager and NPS staff for promotions and in-store events
● Represent the Institute at conferences, festivals, and community events as assigned
● Familiarity with National park and National recreation Area trails and campgrounds (desired)
● Support equity initiatives at North Cascades Institute and actively contribute to NCI as a community of belonging that is welcoming and accessible to everyone. Develop a personal equity, diversity, and inclusion related goal(s) and track progress towards your goal(s) with your supervisor.
● Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving history check.
COMPENSATION & HOUSING
This is a temporary/seasonal, full-time, non-exempt position, eligible for overtime pay. The wage is $14.50/hr. Benefits include sick leave and holiday pay. Housing may be available for the duration of the position for $300/month for a private room. Housing is either at the Environmental Learning Center or in the neighboring town of Marblemount. Retail Assistants are responsible for their own health insurance. Given the remote location, personal transportation is required. Smoking is not allowed in housing, during shift, or on the Institute’s campus. Pets are not allowed on the Institute’s campus.
May 25, 2021
May 25, 2021 – September 26, 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE is May 11, 2021
Please apply online on our website by clicking on the green “Apply Externally” button.
Complete the online application and upload a resume and a cover letter pertinent to this position.
North Cascades Institute is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from candidates who are persons of color. We believe that having a diverse staff that reflects the communities we serve is essential to providing culturally inclusive programs
Equal Opportunity Employer
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, age, citizenship or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs.
About North Cascades Institute
North Cascades Institute’s mission is to inspire environmental stewardship through transformative learning experiences in nature. Since 1986, we have helped connect people, nature and community through science, art, literature and the hands-on study of natural and cultural history. Our goal is to help people of all ages and backgrounds experience and enjoy the mountains, rivers, forests, people and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest – so all will care for and protect this special place.
North Cascades Institute is a respected leader among U.S. environmental education organizations, and we believe that sustainable communities are built on healthy environments, vibrant economies and social equity. The Institute is in sound financial health with a $4 million budget and strong reserves, and 15 four-star ratings with Charity Navigator for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.