Under general direction of the Capital Program Manager, the Project Specialist will gather, organize , and administer District projects information, through frequent communication with project managers and utilization of the project management software. In support of developing and updating the District’s 5-Year Capital Improvement Program (CIP) and Transit Asset Management (TAM) plan. The position will also support the grants department in grants administration and reporting.
This position requires the use of considerable discretion, judgment, and interpersonal skills. The Project Specialist will perform a wide variety of administrative and financial tasks to include data preparation for reporting purposes and cross-functional collaboration with internal departments.
Supervision Received and Exercised
This position reports to the Capital Program Manager and exercises no direct supervisory authority but is required to collaborate with District personnel and other governmental agencies. Further, this position is expected to participate in the sharing of knowledge and is a vital member of various project teams.
Normal working conditions for this position are in both an office and field setting. Business travel may be required periodically between District sites, governmental agencies, consultants’ facilities, and other locations as required.
Examples of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Daily administration of the District’s project database, which includes: reviewing data to ensure complete, accurate, and current project information; following-up with project managers as needed; ensuring timely close-out of projects; addressing content-related questions; and tracking user feedback.
- Support grant reporting for the District, which includes adhering to application and reporting requirements; gathering pertinent project information from project managers and District staff; and monitoring grant deadline schedules.
- Support the development and administration of the 5-Year Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
- Provides administrative support and participates in the District’s Capital Project Steering Committee; provides data for the preparation staff reports, post-meeting reports, presentations, and other correspondence as appropriate and necessary.
- Coordinates and monitors special projects within assigned area of responsibility; performs research of new programs, services, policies, and procedures as assigned.
- Coordinates and collaborates with internal departments, outside entities, and third-party contractors.
- Assists in project closeout through correspondence, processing completion forms, and maintaining internal database records.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, public administration, finance, or a related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years of directly relevant experience.
- Project management and data analytics experience desired.
A combination of experience/skills and education to fulfill the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position may be considered.
- Possess and maintain a California driver’s license, Class C, and a satisfactory driving record for the last five years.
- Maintain compliance with the District’s policies regarding Conflict of Interest and Ethics.
- Strong knowledge of principles and practices of business administration, project management, and communications.
- Experience with state and federal grant funding programs related to transit and transportation is highly desirable.
- Experience with SharePoint software and Microsoft Project is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritize and organize workflow to deliver high-quality products within established deadlines.
- Exceptional relationship-building skills to deal effectively with individuals at all levels of responsibility and authority, and a variety of constituent groups including management, agencies and vendors.
- S/he must have excellent interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on strong written and oral communication skills, to achieve successful results working closely with internal and external customers.
- Ability to analyze routine and non-routine financial and business situations, scenarios, proposals and solve problems and present alternatives.
- Demonstrated proficiency with report writing and presentation development.
- Demonstrated above-average proficiency in computer software programs, particularly the Microsoft Office; experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, such as JD Edwards is a plus.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must possess the ability to use the phone and computer for extended periods, manual dexterity to complete clerical functions and work with office equipment and lift equipment up to 25 pounds on a daily basis. The employee must be able to hear, see, and communicate verbally to exchange information. The employee must be able to physically travel between District locations and other destinations, work in evenings when required, work in hazardous conditions, and negotiate a variety of different and irregular terrain as is typical along a railway right of way. The employee may be subject to fumes, odors, dusts, gases, chemicals. The employee must be able to walk, climb, balance, bend, carry, push, reach, sit, and stand.
Machines / Tools / Equipment
- Ability to operate a personal computer and Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including a fax and scanner machine, copy machine, and telephone.
- Ability to carry and operate a mobile on-call device.
Application Information: All applicants must complete and submit an online application at www.gonctd.com/careers. A job offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen and background check. Salary based upon experience, not to exceed midpoint of stated range. NCTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.