Performs difficult technical and administrative work participating in the enforcement of North Carolina State Building Codes primarily involving commercial structures, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Senior Commercial Code Enforcement Officer.
- Position Responsibilities:Plans, coordinates and participates in building, electrical, mechanical, fire, and plumbing plan review and inspection activities primarily related to commercial structures.
- Coordinates plan review and inspection activities with architects, contractors and citizens.
- Issues stop orders on unauthorized building activities.
- Receives, investigates and takes actions on complaints and suspected code violates.
- Prepares a variety of reports and correspondence on inspection matters.
- Performs assigned functions as a Disaster Ready Team (DRT) member, if appointed or volunteer.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Qualifications:Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and fire inspection activities primarily related to commercial structures; thorough knowledge of building, construction, engineering and structural engineering principles and practices; ability to operate standard office equipment including a personal computer and applicable office productivity software; ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form; firmness and tact in enforcing building codes; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, government officials and the general public.
Education, Experience, and Special Requirements:High school diploma or GED with coursework in building inspections, or related field and considerable experience in building inspections and meets the requirements for the NC Code Qualifications Board as a Level II inspector, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to obtain Level III certifications in Building, Plumbing, Mechanical and Electrical trades within 36 months of hire.
Salary will be determined based on qualifications, internal equity, budget, and market considerations.
Qualified individuals will receive the following:
– $1500 annual increase for every required Level III certification
To be considered for this position, you must upload a copy of your transcripts indicating the date in which your degree was awarded, as well as any relevant certifications.