Location: Fully remote, company located in Bay Area
Hours of Work: 10-20 hours per week
Salary: $18.00 per hour
Benefits: No medical benefits currently offered
Oppkey is looking for a Technical Marketing Manager to join our team. This is a varied role, and as part of a small team, working in a deadline-driven environment, you will be deeply involved with detailed, high quality marketing activities aiming at building developer communities and technology-focused companies.
This job allows remote workers.
You must be high energy, organized and efficient. No prior marketing or communications work experience needed. We will provide training. If you have internship or part-time work experience in marketing / publishing that shows your interest or ability to create technical marketing content, it is a plus. If you have been working or studying in a science field unrelated to marketing, you must submit a portfolio of work that shows your abilities with one or more of the following: YouTube-style videos, written technical content, blog-style articles. This role is ideal for someone looking to gain career skills and experience quickly.
Preferred Expected Bachelors Degrees
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Statistics, Data Science
- Computer Science, Engineering
- Environmental Science
Preference will be given to applications that have one or more of the following:
- Minor in professional writing or related field
- Marketing internships or summer jobs
- Portfolio of video or written content
Why these types of degrees?
You will be responsible for contributing to and implementing marketing strategies for technology clients, developing persuasive written content that is of use for clients.
Example groups and technologies you may be working with:
- R Consortium, focused on R language
- OpenAPI Initiative (OAI), focused on API standards
- CD Foundation, focused on continuous delivery projects including Jenkins, Jenkins X, Spinnaker, and Tekton
- API for well-known 360 degree camera, primarily an HTTP API that is accessed with GET and POST
You will be directly involved with marketing communication initiatives for clients such as website content management, event management and development of marketing materials.
In addition to client work, you can also help us build our internal software systems for a portion of your time if you wish to grow your skills with frontend/backend software development.
Why Join Oppkey?
- Work directly with and learn from senior executives with 20+ years of experience in cutting-edge Silicon Valley marketing techniques
- Work with both large global companies and fast-growth startups
- Immediate responsibility, learn by doing (with guidance)
- Great first job or a great way to transition from development or sales engineering into cutting-edge marketing
- Firm is established and has an impressive client roster but is managed by a small team. Get in now and help grow the firm. Enjoy both the financial rewards and emotional satisfaction of doing something that has an impact as you help us build a great company.
Why You May Not Fit at Oppkey
- If you need a structured environment with a clear training program, goals, and career advancement roadmap, you should look at a larger company. You may be able to help us build this in the future after you rise up, but it’s not set up now.
- If you are afraid of exposing a lack of knowledge about technology, it is not a good fit. We’re not engineers and everyone wishes they knew more about the technology. You won’t be able to learn if you’re afraid or dismissive of the complexity. You’ll need to try.
- If you don’t like writing, it is not a good fit. You need to feel you’re a good writer. We’ll work with you to improve your skills and your speed. If you get writer’s block and get stress out for a day before you start to write, you may start to hate the job. You need to feel good when you write and need to be able to submit the writing on schedule.
- If you have horrible design sense, certain aspects of the job may be challenging. If you can’t use Photoshop to clean up a screenshot or are unable to use a video editor to edit a video prior to uploading to YouTube, you’ll need to learn on the job.
- If you think Twitter and social media are a waste of time, you won’t be able to reach our target audience effectively and even if you do it because it’s your job, you may not enjoy it. Please self-evaluate before you contact us.
If this Technical Marketing Manager position sounds like a challenge you’re interested in, please send the following:
- your CV,
- cover letter highlighting why you want to work with us,
- Digital portfolio of articles, blogs, YouTube videos.
The cover letter must illustrate that you’ve read through the “Why You May Not Fit at Oppkey” section as well as the content of the work. If the letter looks like it is a form letter you blasted out to a bunch of companies without thinking of a match with your specific personality, goals, and awesome skills, it will be viewed as a big negative. You’re in the best position to know what you want to do. We’re only hiring people that have multiple opportunities. We’re looking for a good match.
We will also review the following optional material if you wish to submit extra work: