Professional Land Surveyor 1 – Project Surveyor
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Engineering Automation Section / Geometronics Unit
Our Engineering Automation Section is recruiting for a project surveyor to join our team! In this role, you will work collaboratively with others in leading to establish and promote Delivery & Operations Section standards and expectations for right of way mapping and legal descriptions for conveyance documents. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Train consultants and region staff on division standards and expectations for right of way mapping and legal descriptions for conveyance documents.
- Ensure right of way drawings conform to division standards, comply with state laws and recognized professional practices for land surveying and mapping.
- Ensure descriptions of real property legally convey the desired right and title to the state, local or public agency or private party.
- Maintain right of way engineering records on projects involving land acquisition.
- Review and audit completed work of consultants and region right of way engineering designers.
- Serve as an expert resource on right of way drawings and property descriptions for ODOT, other state agencies, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), local governments and the public.
- Make determinations regarding the width and/or alignment of the existing right of way.
- Provide advice and information on agency policies and practices regarding right of way mapping and property descriptions.
- Advise other ODOT offices, state and federal agencies, local governments and the public regarding the location and extent of our existing property rights.
- Prepare and update right of way drawings and legal property descriptions.
- Prepare unique right of way sketch and survey plat maps.
- Analyze and review requests for an indenture of access rights or a grant of access rights.
- Provide guidance to project teams in determining additional right of way needs.
- Work with the Department of Justice in preparing legal proceedings involving land acquisition.
- Work is performed in an office with almost constant use of a computer and computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) software.
- Travel may be required to consultant or region offices to conduct formal training or attend project design meetings.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.state.or.us.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
What we need:
A valid professional land surveyor (PLS) license.
Note: If registered in another state, successful applicants will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Experience delivering opinions, training and presentations on property rights issues.
- Experience using Bentley CADD software.
- Experience in writing and reviewing right of way centerline property descriptions and sketch maps.
- Experience determining property rights through research, evaluation and analysis.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on June 16, 2021.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer