Oregon Youth Authority (OYA) is seeking to fill a part-time Dental Assistant at MacLaren Youth Correctional Facility (MYCF) located in Woodburn, Oregon. As the dental assistant, you will aid the dentist in providing dental services to OYA youth. This position assists the dentist in supervising and treating youth in addition to performing all necessary dental services as directed by the dentist.
Your Role as Dental Assistant:
- Assist a DDS/DMD in direct patient/youth care by using techniques in four handed Dentistry.
- Learn, assist and maintain all electronic medical record systems.
- Preparing instrument trays by sterilization and organizing instruments and related materials.
- General clinic hygiene functions.
- Perform initial in-processing of new youth and emergency problems by compiling records, exposing and developing dental radiographs, and arranging for appointment times by coordinating through campus security system.
- Clean and maintain appearance of dental office.
- Part-Time: This is a part-time position, up to 30 hours a week. Benefits will be prorated according to the number of hours worked.
- Representation: This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
At OYA, diversity, equity, and inclusion are more than just words on a page. To meet our mission and live our values as an agency, DEI must be at the heart of all we do. We support cultural competence, develop teams and cultivate leaders in ways that are equitable to everyone, especially people of color, those who identify as LGBTQ+, or those from other marginalized communities. We are explicit and intentional as we identify resources that all our youth and staff need to grow and prosper. Our DEI work connects closely with our culture of positive human development, with safe and supportive environments where everyone is held accountable and connected to their community. The end goal is to protect the public and reduce crime by holding youth accountable and providing opportunities for reformation in safe environments.
If you are looking to join a team that values individual and cultural differences, with the opportunity to contribute to youth reformation by enriching our workforce with diversity, OYA wants to hear from you! People of color, women, and other members of historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply!
What’s in it for You?
OYA values our employees. We believe that your time outside of the workplace is as valuable as it is inside the workplace. We offer a great work/life balance with flexible work schedules on most positions and a competitive benefits package, including low-cost, high-coverage health insurance, generous time-off, and a competitive retirement plan.
What we are looking for:
One year of support experience (six months of which must be chairside dental assisting experience); OR
A graduate of a dental assisting program AND possession of a valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation card AND Certification for Radiologic Proficiency AND certification by the Oregon State Board of Dentistry for expanded functions (EFDA).
The State of Oregon requires all executive branch employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Successful candidates for this position must submit vaccination documentation or be approved for an exception prior to their first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of full documentation or receipt of an approved exception will lead to withdrawal of the job offer. For more information, visit our policy listed here.
Desired Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience working in a secure/correctional facility.
- Experience working with youth including youth with mental health challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and encourage good oral hygiene to youth.
- Demonstrated efficiency in the dental clinic.
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary team.
- MacLaren is a tobacco free environment.
- May be exposed to blood related to communicable disease, mercury vapor and x-ray radiation in the normal course of treatment of patients.
- Staff is expected to be a positive example and role model for other staff and youth. The staff is to be supportive toward MacLaren Correctional Facility policies and procedures. Being a positive role model includes, but is not limited to: reliability; dependability; regular and punctual attendance in order to provide consistent services and provide public safety, neat personal appearance, treating all humans with respect, and being a law-abiding citizen. Each employee is to provide a positive, affirming environment which values their co-workers and the people they serve.
- All OYA employees are expected to work using safe work practices and to follow all polices regarding safe work practices.
- Daily contact with youth and others who exhibit hostile, assaultive behavior. This position is expected to enforce rules and may need to physically restrain youth. It is subject to a hostage situation.
How to apply:
Please go to the external job link listed in this announcement or go to oregonjobs.org and search job announcement REQ-81658.
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we are here to serve. OYA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be individualized based on merit, competence, performance, and business need.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.” The more diverse we are, the better our work will be.