Company: Ford Motor Company
Location: Dearborn, MI
This dual customer/product focused position serves as the senior technical liaison between OEMs and represents our customers during new product development programs.
· Applying company’s products to customer vehicles requires the development of technical specifications, implementing new design configurations, and delivering high performance, low-cost equipment and system solutions integrated with customers’ products in a variety of applications. Integrating high quality and optimized customer solutions requires the interaction with sales and marketing teams.
· Obtains input and negotiates with Subject Matter Experts and Value Package Introduction (VPI) Teams and delivers product data and installation requirements to Application Engineers and OEMs
· Makes decisions in the areas of product selection, design, and integration that impact OEM machine performance, optimization and quality
· Applies and improves processes such as Installation Quality Assurance, OEM integration and product selection and tools such as Advisor and Global Customer Engineering (GCE) required to support the processes and enable high quality decision making.
· Develops strong working relationships with customer technical counterparts to serve as their primary liaison to deliver specialized product technical information, manage product specifications, communicate product change information, conduct complex installation issue resolutions and facilitate customer requests
· Applies technical expertise in the areas of product, application and market knowledge to support OEM product selection and equipment design
· Leads the translation of customer needs and “voice of the customer” into functional product requirements to provide input on program-related decisions
· Serves as customer/market advocate inside the company during participation in new product development programs, design reviews and product change request processes
· Ensures products are applied and installed correctly to meet customer system requirements and environments
· Assures installation quality by validating prototype machine performance and ensuring installations meet company requirements
· Utilizes Analysis Led Design (ALD) and Six Sigma tools to optimize product and system performance
· Proposes innovative customer-focused initiatives and projects
· Assists with the transfer of knowledge through coaching and mentoring less experienced engineers
· Provides independent leadership of smaller business impact projects or ownership of complex components, products, systems or services with greater elements of ambiguity over the senior or lead engineer level and with full accountability to the project team.
· Delivers independent execution of established and emerging work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge.
· Leads the development and improvement of work processes and systems across a functional discipline area within a business unit site.
· Coordinates and directs work amongst technicians and temporary student employees, assists in the transfer of knowledge to lesser experienced engineers through either indirect (scope of influence) or direct management of a small, local group of engineers.
· Provides support and guidance to influence technical direction within a project team and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
· Operates as a recognized specialist in a discipline or product area within the immediate team.
· College, university, or equivalent Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required.
· Prior Senior or Lead Engineer equivalent work experience in a relevant discipline area is required with a demonstrated track record of technical problem solving and quality decision making. Knowledge of MS Office tools is preferred
· Able to represent the company well to customers by being the interface for all technical aspects; provides engineering data, documentation and training to customers to support the design and integration of equipment; ensures that the customer’s business is not interrupted by managing company’s product changes through the use of our change processes and regular communications with Product Development and the customer.
· Has the ability to ensure new product information is available by developing and managing accurate and complete technical content in a timely manner to support our customers and the business; provides new options through management of technical systems to support sales to all of our markets; defines installation requirements and develops innovative tools with in-depth, cross-system knowledge and industry experience for successful design and integration.
· Has the experience and ability to combine various parts or sub-systems into a whole to achieve the output most desired by the customer; applies company’s installation requirements using our standard tools, processes and identified best practices to ensure optimization of performance, reliability, cost and quality; analyzes technical issues using proven problem-solving and troubleshooting techniques for rapid resolution.
· Able to identify and applies ways to improve machine integration to minimize rework and deliver the best product; applies standard company processes based on the experience and knowledge of product installation experts; ensures that products are installed correctly and meet requirements through an installation review process.
· Must be able to guide customers to the best product offerings for their markets and applications; offers best-fit solutions to customers by optimizing product specifications to make the company’s offerings easy to install into new applications; represents features and benefits of products in terms that customers understand; ensures the company’s’ products aren’t misapplied through using our’ technical information systems, local and application requirements.
· Possesses good problem solving skills in products or high complex problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem re-occurrence.
· Essential to have good customer relationship building abilities for both formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization and delivering customer-centric solutions.
· Proven track records in making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward and consistent in achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
· Has the ability to develop and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.