PEN America seeks interns who are passionate about human rights, artistic expression, and serving artists at risk and the organizations that support them to work with our Artists at Risk Connection (ARC) team. This internship is based in New York, but due to COVID-19 concerns, will be primarily a remote position at this time and is subject to change. The supervisor reserves the right to request interns to come into the office if it is necessary and deemed safe to do so.
This is an unpaid position. PEN America internships are also eligible for college credit.
- Assist with research and outreach to identify and expand the network of organizations supporting artists at risk
- Support work to identify sources of assistance for artists and development and maintenance of a database inventory of these resources
- Draft profiles of artists and partner organizations for artistsatriskconnection.org
- Draft press releases on violations of artistic freedom around the world
- Perform prospect research and support other fundraising efforts
- Assist with efforts to expand support for the initiative, including media communications
- Be involved in communications with individual artists at risk and the network of organizations that provide them with support
- Research and monitor issues and cases concerning the repression of artistic expression worldwide
- Must be able to provide proof of authorization to intern in the United States
- Must be available 20 hours/three days per week during regular business hours
- Knowledge of and interest in global free expression and artistic freedom issues
- Strong research, writing, organizational, and administrative skills
- Ability to work quickly, stay highly organized, and multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and G Suite
- Experience managing social media accounts and drafting social media content
- Experience with online databases and website management desirable
- Experience doing prospect research and grant writing
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, or other languages a big plus
Be sure to include the dates of your availability with your application.
- Summer Internship: Please submit your application between April 1 and June 15.
Please email a resume and cover letter (both one-page maximum) and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line “ARC Program Internship.”
PEN America does not discriminate in its selection practices, and in order to build the strongest possible team, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
ABOUT PEN AMERICA:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.