Phoenix Charter Academy’s mission is to challenge young people in our area with an academically rigorous and individually tailored curriculum. Phoenix scholars will have the support, resources and training needed to succeed academically in high school and college, and become economically secure in their future. Phoenix Charter Academy is named after a mythological figure of strength, healing and renewal.
Phoenix schools challenge resilient, disconnected young people with rigorous academics and relentless supports, so they take ownership of their futures and succeed in high school, college, and as self-sufficient adults.
At Phoenix we do not just accept difference – we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our scholars and the communities we serve. We believe difference makes us stronger. Phoenix Charter Academy is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Phoenix Charter Academy is committed to making any reasonable accommodation necessary to support an individual’s employment.
In the upcoming school year, Phoenix Charter Academy Lawrence will be piloting an innovative new schedule and team teaching approach designed to maximize the success of our scholars and ensure they have the supports and structures in place to be successful with their post-secondary goals. Phoenix Charter Academy Lawrence is seeking Special Education Teachers to join their team in Lawrence. Special Education Teachers teach the content classes in collaboration with their student support teacher. The ideal candidate has a strong content and pedagogy background with proven student results based on data. Special Education Teachers will be responsible for communicating with scholars and adult supporters around student academic progress and are held accountable to student progression data. Phoenix teachers welcome the challenge of a student-centered learning environment and know that relentless support calls on adults to go above and beyond for all students.
Qualities of a Phoenix team member:
- Unwavering Belief in Phoenix Scholars – Phoenix staff operate with the deeply held belief that all young people want to and can succeed even in the face of what can seem like insurmountable barriers and societal constraints.
- Ability to Put Scholars First – Phoenix staff go above and beyond to ensure mastery of the skills and development of positive self-identity that will ensure success for college, careers and beyond. Phoenix staff find every opportunity to engage in teaching and learning with scholars, using conflict to build supportive relationships with scholars and never taking things personally.
- Eager to Learn Under Pressure – Phoenix staff must be able to learn as they go in a fast paced, ever evolving, urgent environment. They have the desire to receive direct feedback and the ability to implement the feedback into practice quickly.
- Humility – Phoenix staff approach problem solving with curiosity and desire to understand the perspectives of others. They carry an internalized sense of “I can always learn more” from others, and know that adults at Phoenix must model the qualities of being open-minded and willing to make mistakes and learn from them.
- Experience with Low Income Communities – Staff have the proven ability to work across cultures and experience serving low-income communities and/or academically-disconnected adolescents.
- Ability to Find Inspiration In the Small Things – In the face of challenge and hard work, Phoenix staff must have the ability to find humor, inspiration, success and joy in the day to day interactions with scholars and the larger Phoenix Community.
- Personal Commitment to Cultural Proficiency and Ongoing Development – Phoenix staff are ongoing learners about diversity, equity and inclusion and seek to understand the ways that their self-identity and experiences impacts and interacts with their daily work, colleagues and scholars.
In addition to demonstrating the qualities of a Phoenix staff member, Special Education Teachers will be responsible for the following:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Deliver rigorous and competency-based instructional lessons to meet curriculum requirements
- Create multiple instructional entry points for scholars on a daily basis that will support scholars in academically progressing
- Provide 1:1 support to scholars as needed, adapting to the strategic shifts within the pilot
- Implement Phoenix Lawrence’s innovative, blended learning that is designed to support all scholars
- Use scholar data to diagnose student learning, group and regroup students
- Actively participate in the coaching cycle process as a way to improve instruction and scholar learning
- Set high standards and goals for scholars; consistently use real data to measure growth towards these goals
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters degree preferred
- 3+ years of teaching experience required
- Strong content knowledge required
- Strong computer skills and experience with various teaching/learning programs
- Must demonstrate a strong belief that all students can learn
- Must be committed to addressing racial and economic inequity in education, particularly as an anti-racist educator
- Ability to build strong relationships and effectively communicate with students and families
- Spanish skills preferred
**The Network retains the right to modify this job description at any time, for any reason, at the Network’s sole discretion**