Phoenix Charter Academy’s mission is to challenge young people in our area with an academically rigorous and individually tailored curriculum. Phoenix scholars will have the support, resources and training needed to succeed academically in high school and college, and become economically secure in their future. Phoenix Charter Academy is named after a mythological figure of strength, healing and renewal.
Phoenix schools challenge resilient, disconnected young people with rigorous academics and relentless supports, so they take ownership of their futures and succeed in high school, college, and as self-sufficient adults.
At Phoenix we do not just accept difference – we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our scholars and the communities we serve. We believe difference makes us stronger. Phoenix Charter Academy is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Phoenix Charter Academy is committed to making any reasonable accommodation necessary to support an individual’s employment.
Phoenix Charter Academy is seeking a Science Teacher to join their team in Springfield. Phoenix teachers do more than simply teach academic lessons; they serve integral roles as advisers and mentors for our scholars. In order to best support our scholars, Phoenix offers rigorous adult and professional development opportunities in the form of weekly Friday afternoon professional development sessions, quarterly content days, individualized coaching cycles and more. Phoenix teachers are responsible for preparing and delivering rigorous, high-quality instruction in their assigned content areas. They provide relentless support to benefit the socio-emotional needs of scholars with a focus on college and career readiness. Phoenix teachers model and promote the Phoenix mission by maintaining high expectations and fighting for equity for the scholars and communities they serve.
Qualities of a Phoenix team member:
- Unwavering Belief in Phoenix Scholars – Phoenix staff operate with the deeply held belief that all young people want to and can succeed even in the face of what can seem like insurmountable barriers and societal constraints.
- Ability to Put Scholars First – Phoenix staff go above and beyond to ensure mastery of the skills and development of positive self-identity that will ensure success for college, careers and beyond. Phoenix staff find every opportunity to engage in teaching and learning with scholars, using conflict to build supportive relationships with scholars and never taking things personally.
- Eager to Learn Under Pressure – Phoenix staff must be able to learn as they go in a fast paced, ever evolving, urgent environment. They have the desire to receive direct feedback and the ability to implement the feedback into practice quickly.
- Humility – Phoenix staff approach problem solving with curiosity and desire to understand the perspectives of others. They carry an internalized sense of “I can always learn more” from others, and know that adults at Phoenix must model the qualities of being open-minded and willing to make mistakes and learn from them.
- Experience with Low Income Communities – Staff have the proven ability to work across cultures and experience serving low-income communities and/or academically-disconnected adolescents.
- Ability to Find Inspiration In the Small Things – In the face of challenge and hard work, Phoenix staff must have the ability to find humor, inspiration, success and joy in the day to day interactions with scholars and the larger Phoenix Community.
- Personal Commitment to Cultural Proficiency and Ongoing Development – Phoenix staff are ongoing learners about diversity, equity and inclusion and seek to understand the ways that their self-identity and experiences impacts and interacts with their daily work, colleagues and scholars.
In addition to demonstrating the qualities of a Phoenix staff member, the Science Teacher will be responsible for the following:
Curriculum and Instructional Responsibilities:
- Design and deliver rigorous instructional lessons to meet curriculum requirements
- Support the social-emotional learning connected to college and career readiness
- Provide 1:1 support to scholars as needed
- Participate in 3 hours weekly of professional development on Fridays from 1:30– 4:30 PM
- Participate in supervision, weekly coaching cycles and meet or exceed the deliverables set by the Director of Curriculum and Instruction
- Create required curriculum supplements, weekly overviews, quarterly Scopes and Sequences and Quality Performance Assessments in alignment with frameworks
- Collaborate with ESL and Academic Support staff in order to best reach all scholars
- Actively participate in the coaching cycle process as a way to improve instruction and scholar learning
- Participate in mid-year summative and end of year formative evaluations with your direct supervisor
- Communicate with parents/adult supporters through phone calls, email correspondence, and/or in-person meetings
- Provide school support and coverage duties deemed necessary by the Head of School or their designee.
- Set high standards and goals for scholars; consistently use real data to measure growth towards these goals
- Publicly display evidence of great scholarship in and around your classroom
- Seek to create personal, warm relationships with ALL scholars, sending a clear message that the academic work is the priority and that the teacher will not give up on them
- Communicate scholar support needs with Director of School Culture and Social Worker whenever necessary
- Commit to growing professionally through consistent and constant formal and informal feedback and reflection; remain humble and relentless
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 1 year of direct scholar-serving (teaching, tutoring, academic support, etc.) experience preferred.
- Bilingual/Spanish-speaking candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
**The Network retains the right to modify this job description at any time, for any reason, at the Network’s sole discretion**