This position is in the Procurement Department. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: 43
This entry-level professional buyer position requires excellent communication and collaborative skills with the capacity to work with Procurement Officers and a variety of County departments to perform procurement and purchasing related functions. These include, but are not limited to, providing vendor assistance, creating bid tabulations, issuing purchase orders, establishing and maintaining contracts, amendments and renewals in a timely manner, generating reports, etc. Must comply with County Procurement code, policy and procedures, optimize County objectives including fair, ethical and considerate treatment of suppliers, and the prudent expenditure of public funds. Senior Buyers are typically paired with two-person Procurement Officer teams to optimize productivity and provide excellent customer service.
Please note: For new hires (and promoted employees hired) the applicant must have a full set of COVID-19 vaccines, by the effective date of hire. If you are unable to become fully vaccinated due to a medical disability or religious observance/practice, you must request an accommodation – accommodation forms are located on-line.
(1) A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in business, purchasing or materials management or closely related field as defined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment.
(Additional relevant experience and/or education from an accredited college or university may be substituted.)
(2) Three years with the Pima County Procurement Department in a paraprofessional or professional administrative support classification preparing procurement related documentation and performing procurement related support services.
(3) One year with Pima County as a Buyer.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the “Education” and “Work Experience” sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write “see resume” on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- A minimum of two (2) years of responsible procurement experience in a governmental or private environment.
- Completed procurement-related classes and/or Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) certification, within the last two (2) years.
- Intermediate level experience in Adobe and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel), within the last year.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.