GARDEN EDUCATION INTERN
(SPRING SEMESTER 2022)
Brief Organization Overview:
Pomona Hope is a non-profit, faith-based, community organization dedicated to working in partnership with people of all backgrounds to strengthen Pomona’s children, families, and neighborhoods.
After School with Pomona Hope welcomes kindergarteners through twelfth graders. We are dedicated to working alongside parents and community members on behalf of Pomona’s youth. It is our aim to provide resources and a safe, affirming environment to empower youth to grow and learn.
401 N. Gibbs Street
Pomona, CA 91767
- Develop and execute age-appropriate Garden Workshops to help students develop a well-rounded understanding of gardening. Work with students K-8 to help them learn to plant, tend, and harvest from Center Street Community Garden (across the street from Pomona Hope’s facilities)
- Compile a curriculum of lesson plans that can be utilized by the program in the future
- If intern is available, attend and assist with monthly first Saturday workdays and third Saturday workshops
- Assist with community outreach projects, such as canvassing the neighborhood
- Assist staff with program preparations at least 1 hour/week
- Other projects and duties as assigned
The Garden Workshop Intern should enjoy gardening, as well as have a desire to learn more about social justice and community development. This internship is a great opportunity to explore the field of education in a fun and creative way. The ideal candidate will be organized, creative, and interested in working with all ages of gardeners.
Job Title: Garden Education Intern
Number of Openings: 2
Approximate Hours per Week: 6-8 hours per week (2-3 hours for set-up, instruction, and clean-up; 2-3 hours of lesson planning, 1-2 hours of program preparations/homework help, and/or monthly Saturday Garden service day). Program hours are Monday-Thursday from 2:45 p.m-5:30 p.m. Interns must be available on Thursday afternoons (2:45 p.m-4:45 p.m.) to lead workshops (workshop times subject to change). All hours must be completed on-site (with the exception of off-site field trips).
* Please note that the internship is unpaid (college credit only) and that it requires transportation to and from the site. A live scan (fingerprinting) must also be completed prior to working with the students.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to the Outreach Director
Contact person: Nora Codina| Outreach Director | 909.921.3618 ext. 4 | firstname.lastname@example.org