Are you READY? We are.
Why settle for ordinary when you can be part of something extraordinary? At Port of Houston Authority, we make sure our people have the best advantages in the business and that includes making sure they are READY to work for a world class port and facility. And by READY, we mean: Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Diligence, and “You”.
Get in on the action at Port of Houston Authority where You can be part of a great team; where You can help create an environment of excellence; where You can be part of a tradition, over 100 years in the making.
Missing out on this could mean missing the chance at an extraordinary career. Are you READY?
Administrative Assistant, Procurement Services
Provides administrative support in a variety of functions to an individual, team, department(s), or another group in the organization, requiring a degree of independent judgment and a knowledge of policies and procedures. Serves as liaison with internal and external customers and stakeholders.
- Responsible for the Department’s administrative affairs: planning, organizing, and coordinating staff issues; events; logistics; and other technical and complex administrative work
- Handle and maintain confidential and non-routine information
- Perform general administrative duties including preparing correspondence, filing and records management, providing phone coverage, redirecting calls, taking messages, scheduling appointments and maintaining office supplies and work area
- Administer direct supervisor’s and/or department employees’ calendars, scheduling meetings and appointments without clearance on occasion. Coordinate all travel for Director and other departmental staff including travel request and hotel accommodations as necessary
- Schedule and plan department, division, or other internal/external client services meetings, including logistics, technology requirements, meeting agendas, meeting notes, etc.
- May support more than one department
- Gather, format, and possibly create content for submission materials/content of Port Commission items
- Screen telephone calls and visitors, ascertaining who can be redirected to subordinate managers or other offices. Provide information and general knowledge of company policies, practices, and operations
- Prepare letter and staff minutes; proofread for spelling, grammar and layout, making appropriate changes
- Review mail, ensure proper distribution, and respond accordingly to time sensitive correspondence
- Order office supplies, when needed
- Organize and maintain files in accordance with Auditing Standards and Port Houston’s Records Retention System and act as records liaison with that department
- Participate as an integral team member of the department, and provide customer service to all internal and external clients
- Create/generate specialized charts, reports, and distributing on a regular basis
- Create/administer tracking spreadsheets for various items: purchase orders, projects, expense reports, inventory, vendors etc.
- Collect, review, and may analyze data to prepare reports, charts, budgets, and other presentation materials to present yourself or for others
- Perform general data entry tasks
- Prepare initial and reforecast budgets for approval and generally administer annual department budget
- Assist in writing/tracking department requests for proposals (RFP), request for Commission action (RCA), etc.
- Initiate and monitor purchase orders, check requests, and petty cash payments; review and process invoices for payment; prepares and maintains records of financial transactions
- Design, create content, and maintain/update department intranet webpage (SharePoint/Shareport)
- Act in accordance with Port Houston core values (respect, excellence, accountability, diligence, and you)
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s degree in Business Administration, Communications, or related major in a public or accredited private academic institution preferred
- 3+ years of related experience administrative support required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Intermediate-advance knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in SharePoint, Kronos, JD Edwards systems, Cognos, Boarddocs, and BuySpeed software systems
- Knowledge of database management
- Advanced knowledge of fiscal management and reconciliation
- Budget preparation skills
- Event planning or coordination skills
- Strong decision-making skills
- Prioritization and organization skills
- Problem-solution oriented
- Expert written and verbal communication skills
- Independent judgment
- Strong customer service focus, internal and external
- Works well under pressure regularly
- Ability to work autonomously
- Interpersonal skills
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to interact and collaborate in a team environment
- Attention to detail
Key Competencies Required:
- Building Trust
- Change Management (micro/departmental)
- Managing Priorities/Meeting Deadlines
- Planning & Organizing
In return for your hardwork and dedication, we will provide you a career with great pay and benefits, training, advancement potential and a whole lot more, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance immediately
- Life insurance
- Career paths
- Defined contribution retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Sick time
When you take the first step with the Port of Houston Authority, you’ve taken the first step in the right direction in your new career path. Great pay, benefits, and a long tradition are just the beginning. Get READY!