Who we are:
Port Houston is the advocate and a strategic leader of the Houston Ship Channel, one of the most powerful economic engines in the state and the country. Port Houston owns and operates the public wharves and terminals along the Houston Ship Channel, including the area’s largest breakbulk facility and two of the most efficient container terminals in the country.
Through our leadership and our work, we help ensure the nation’s busiest waterway stays running to benefit the customers of the public facilities we operate, our surrounding communities and industries, and our region. Port Houston exists to move the world and drive regional prosperity.
The work we do helps build up our local community, supports the economy, bolsters goodwill for the state of Texas, and influences the outlook of the entire region. And this is only the beginning! Our best accomplishments are ahead of us as we expand the Houston Ship Channel and widen its reach to become America’s distribution hub for the next generation.
Who you are:
You are more than the work you do. We want your work at Port Houston to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high-performance culture that values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
Sound like the place for you?
Economic Analyst Position Summary:
The Economic Analyst supports the Commercial division by identifying, researching, organizing, developing, and managing a variety of business development and proposal activities with data, research and analysis. Collaborates with leadership and team members to achieve revenue, growth, and probability of win-win targets.
- Design, execute, and customize qualitative and quantitative economic and market analyses and forecasts
- Track pricing and trends for key commodities based on Port Houston data and provide timely and accurate reports to internal stakeholders
- Gather data from outside sources to identify and monitor market and economic conditions relevant to the maritime industry to help identify national and global trends
- Provide timely economic and market research and analyses to assist Port Houston in maintaining a competitive market advantage
- Develop and use additional decision support tools to assist in Port Houston’s strategic planning, business planning, capital planning, financial planning and performance measurement, to advance its strategic vision and guide investment and policy choices
- Provide guidance and assistance to business lines on forecasting issues, business planning, and long-term trends in the economy affecting their respective businesses
- Provide regular and timely advice to executive leadership on economic and market issues and their possible implications for Port Houston
- Develop models and generate forecasts for Port Houston and the Houston Ship Channel container, general cargo volumes using formal statistical techniques combined with data gathered from market research, internal data and external data to support budgeting and forecasting process
- Research and analyze economic and market trends and determine implications for various Port Houston business lines
- Manage inventory of all data, statistics, analyses and reports and ensure quality control
- Manage the preparation of and provide reports and presentations on the businesses of the Port Houston and the regional maritime economy for the region’s stakeholders
- Perform other duties as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics or related major in a public or accredited private academic institution required
- 3+ years of related market analysis experience required
- A current, valid Texas driver’s license is required. Successful out of state candidates must be able to obtain a valid Texas driver’s license within 90 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Knowledge of local Economic Development community and industrial real estate markets
- Knowledge of Port of Houston
- Knowledge of time series analysis and forecasting techniques
- Analytical thinking, applied statistics and market research skills
- Organization and time management skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to use databases and Excel
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to think creatively
- Ability to summarize events and activities
- Ability gather information
- Must exhibit the Port Houston Corporate Values and incorporate them into work activities and initiatives: Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Diligence and Customer Focus.
Key Competencies Required:
- Ability to Conceptualize
- Analytical Problem Solving
- Attention to Detail
- Global Perspective
- Information Monitoring
Port Houston proudly embraces diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity. Our teams reflect our commitment to celebrating diversity and creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.