Who we are:
Port Houston is the advocate and a strategic leader of the Houston Ship Channel, one of the most powerful economic engines in the state and the country. Port Houston owns and operates the public wharves and terminals along the Houston Ship Channel, including the area’s largest breakbulk facility and two of the most efficient container terminals in the country.
Through our leadership and our work, we help ensure the nation’s busiest waterway stays running to benefit the customers of the public facilities we operate, our surrounding communities and industries, and our region. Port Houston exists to move the world and drive regional prosperity.
The work we do helps build up our local community, supports the economy, bolsters goodwill for the state of Texas, and influences the outlook of the entire region. And this is only the beginning! Our best accomplishments are ahead of us as we expand the Houston Ship Channel and widen its reach to become America’s distribution hub for the next generation.
Who you are:
You are more than the work you do. We want your work at Port Houston to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high-performance culture that values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
Sound like the place for you?
Senior Developer Position Summary:
Leads the development and maintenance of software applications in support of enterprise related business processes. Initiates and coordinates efforts with user departments to find solutions to problems with existing software and to design and create new applications. Identifies and initiates solutions to problems of diverse scope where analysis of software requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Position demonstrates leadership in orchestrating internal and external resources, techniques, and solutions when selecting methods and executing processes to address the needs of all departments.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Self start in the coordination efforts amongst all internal and external customers to identify root causes and solutions to issues regarding software performance.
- Self start in the direction of consulting companies to perform software changes in response to requests from internal or external business resources.
- Self start and direct the compilation of sample data and test cases to assist external consulting companies or internal business resources in the diagnosing of error situations
- Utilize expert knowledge and experience in directing and composting research, design, documentation, configuration, implementation and support of standard or customized software processes and reporting.
- Initiate technical support in design and programming for IT personnel, as required
- Perform in a roll of Team Lead and/or Project Manager as assigned.
- Self initiate reporting to IT Management and business stakeholders the status of projects, milestones, and goals in the form of requirements documentation, test plans, schedules, and budgeting
- Actively address risks to mitigate the impact to application performance and project related initiatives.
- Act in accordance with Port Houston core values (respect, excellence, accountability, diligence, and you)
- Perform the duties of a Developer at an advanced/expert level
- Perform other duties, as required
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related major in a public or accredited private academic institution required; additional years’ experience can be substituted in lieu of a undergraduate degree
- 5+ years of related information technology developer experience required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Advanced knowledge of processes and systems associated with the duties of a Developer
- Project management, budgeting, and organization
- Leadership and mentoring
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to associate with all levels of management including those at the C-Level
- Maintains strong decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Proactively engages issues which are beyond one’s immediate knowledge base.
- Initiates tasks without supervision
Key Competencies Required:
- Competencies associated with that of a Developer
- Ability to delegate duties
- Builds customer loyalty
- Trusted advisor
Port Houston proudly embraces diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity. Our teams reflect our commitment to celebrating diversity and creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.