Who we are:
Port Houston is the advocate and a strategic leader of the Houston Ship Channel, one of the most powerful economic engines in the state and the country. Port Houston owns and operates the public wharves and terminals along the Houston Ship Channel, including the area’s largest breakbulk facility and two of the most efficient container terminals in the country.
Through our leadership and our work, we help ensure the nation’s busiest waterway stays running to benefit the customers of the public facilities we operate, our surrounding communities and industries, and our region. Port Houston exists to move the world and drive regional prosperity.
The work we do helps build up our local community, supports the economy, bolsters goodwill for the state of Texas, and influences the outlook of the entire region. And this is only the beginning! Our best accomplishments are ahead of us as we expand the Houston Ship Channel and widen its reach to become America’s distribution hub for the next generation.
Who you are:
You are more than the work you do. We want your work at Port Houston to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high-performance culture that values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
Sound like the place for you?
Sr. Systems Technician Position Summary:
Works within a cohesive team environment and is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, maintenance, and analysis of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. Exhibits a positive customer service experience supporting the end-user IT environment. Resolves end-user systems troubleshooting escalations and contributes to on-the-job training and technical development of team members. Performs research and helps implement new technology that will benefit Port Houston Operations and the user community.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Maintain the computer system of organization
- Provide end-user support, resolving technical issues and provides technical assistance for all operating systems
- Provide remote support through phone or end-user via phone
- Set up new hires with equipment and appropriate access to the organization’s system
- Perform maintenance of the business software applications
- Implement, install, configure, monitor, troubleshoot and evaluate existing and new operating systems
- Confer with database programmers, analysts or other system administrators
- Advise technicians who are involve in diagnosing and correcting systems related to failures and performing system management and determines logical solutions
- Monitor IT ticketing system and provide trending and metric details to IT Management, utilizing Information Technology Information Library (ITIL) v3 and analysis skills
- Ensure all systems hardware and software remain compliant with Port Houston information technology standards and related processes
- Performing computer programming in support of service desk application, Microsoft or Linux Servers and smart phones and/or devices
- Provide initial troubleshooting of network and wireless connectivity issues and resolve where possible
- Perform upgrades of end user systems following the standard processes for the IT Department
- Support and maintain mobile devices used throughout the Port handhelds
- Provide user administration in the Active Directory domain
- Create new user accounts and provide email access • Maintain, move, delete, and modify all of these accounts and groups, as needed
- Maintain an electronic and physical filing system of IT Access Forms for Auditing purposes
- Serve the technical Point of Contact for Port Houston systems -related issues
- Contribute to the on-the-job training and technical development of other Service Desk team members
- Provide recommendations to IT Management for Port Houston end-user requests for purchase of systems hardware, software, and printing standards
- Maintain status of inventory and input received items into Manage Engine Plus Inventory System
- Assist the IT management in refining and documenting Port Houston IT Service Desk processes and procedures, gained through analysis of current and historical cases inside the system
- Support Terminal Operations systems
- Assist senior IT team members with projects as necessary
- Act in accordance with Port Houston core values (respect, excellence, accountability, diligence, and you)
- Perform other duties, as required
Education & Experience Requirements:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required
- Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Business Information Systems, or related major from a public or accredited private academic institution preferred
- 3+ years of related IT support experience required
- Previous experience diagnosing and analyzing complex technical issues required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Advanced knowledge of File Server, Print Server, VMware, etc.
- Working knowledge to configure Cisco call systems
- Knowledge of various workstations, laptops and printers
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of Active Directory
- Knowledge of applicable industry tools
- Customer service skills
- Attention to details and effective organizational skills
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills with all levels of employees, management, and customers
- Creative problem solving skills
- Ability to work with a wide variety of user concerns
- Ability to work with other IT staff members as a team
- Ability to work with little supervision
- Ability to administer and maintain accounts
- Ability to configure and install operating systems
- Ability to remove virus and spyware
Key Competencies Required:
- Technical Professional Knowledge
- Customer Focus
- Contributes to Team Performance
- Attention to Detail
- Builds Customer Loyalty
Port Houston proudly embraces diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity. Our teams reflect our commitment to celebrating diversity and creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.