Importance of Position: Visual design is key to sharing our message that young people’s stories are powerful. What we see is the first impression we make and engages potential partners and the general community on who we are and why what we do matters. Power of Story is looking for a designer for both ongoing on specific current projects (see details below).
· Desire to support POWER OF STORY’s mission
· Comfort with various design software (currently we use CANVA)
· Ability to follow style guide + still innovate
Reports to: Executive Director
· Attendance at 1-hour initial training and 1 board meeting annually (both can be virtual)
· Track + report volunteer hours
· Maintain a respectful relationship with clients, staff, and other volunteers
· Conceptualize, design, and create mock-ups from small enhancements to entirely new designs
· Design beautiful, clear, and engaging communication pieces. This will include logos, images, newsletters, website and social media graphics, flyers, print pieces and web experiences for our audience
· Collaborate with the leadership team to determine project scope and timeframe
· Work closely with Executive Director to translate messaging concepts into marketing materials
· Other duties as assigned
Current Project Focus:
· Question Cards – Adoptees and Foster youth have many unanswered questions about their history, such as “Why am I not with my birth family?” “What medical conditions do I need to worry about?” “Where did I get my love for fashion?” etc., but not everyone has the same questions. When we are assembling the pieces of someone’s history, we want to focus in on the questions THEY have through interviewing them one on one. We would like to develop a playing card style set of questions (one per page), that is accessible and understandable with a wide variety of ages and developmental abilities (from 5-21 primarily). The designer will create mock up designs, go through the feedback and editing process, refine the design, print a sample pack and then test and refine the design.
Compensation: no financial compensation, but lots of benefits (see below)
Benefits of Volunteering:
· Give back to youth and young people.
· Connect with others who are also passionate about this work.
· Volunteering is good for your mind and body.
· Volunteering provides career experience + teaches valuable job skills.
· Volunteering brings fun and fulfillment to your life.
Volunteer Shifts: Flexible 1-2 hours per week
Commitment: At least 6 months, 1 year minimum preferred