Performs routine and complex analytical procedures, recognizes deviations and provides interpretation following established standards and practices, under minimal supervision.
- Operates instruments and performs procedures within scope of training, utilizing established protocols. Performs scheduled maintenance procedures. Recognizes equipment malfunctions and acts according to established protocols.
- Performs, records, and maintains accurate quality control records. Recognizes out of control results and takes appropriate actions.
- Answers inquiries regarding results and factors affecting results. Interacts with health care team, maintaining patient confidentiality. Acts as a liaison and fosters effective communication between laboratory and health care team.
- Performs routine inquiry and data input on the laboratory computer system.
- Instructs new employees and students as required. Presents educational information to employees as requested.
- Processes biological specimens for analysis following established procedures. Evaluates and solves problems related to specimen collection and processing
- Maintains established hospital and departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control. Complies with requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies by attending mandatory in-services and continuing laboratory education and participating in continuous quality improvement. Maintains and upgrades personal development.
- Drafts and review procedures. Participate in new method evaluation as requested
- Acts as a team leader as assigned, by establishing and completing objectives. May direct the scheduling and completion of all activities. May instruct, assign work and provide guidance to co-workers in the absence of supervisory personnel.
- Performs other duties as directed.
MT Education/Certification Requirements
- Must have Bachelor’s degree or in final semester of an accredited MT/MLS Bachelor degree program. (must provide degree within 6 months of hire) Must have MT/MLS (ASCP) OR an appropriate categorical ASCP registry OR be eligible to achieve MT/MLS (ASCP) registry (must complete registration within one year of hire). Requires previous clinical experience. Must fulfill all requisite criteria for Medical Technologist I, unless grandfathered prior to 1987.
MLT Education/Certification Requirements
- Must have an Associate degree or equivalent in chemical, physical, biological laboratory science. Must be MLT (ASCP) registered or registry eligible (must complete registration within one year of hire). Requires previous clinical experience. Must fulfill all requisite criteria for Medical Laboratory Technician I
MLT and MT Overall Requirements
- Must be able to move continuously about hospital and between workstations; and prolonged periods of standing.
- Must be able to understand directions and be able to communicate and respond to inquiries; requires effective interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to tolerate exposure to disease bearing specimens, odorous chemicals, carcinogens, mutagens, low-level radiation, electrical hazards and flammable liquids.
- Must be able to differentiate colors.
- Must be able to occasionally move, lift and/or carry lightweight materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds up to 5% of the time.
- Must be able to input and retrieve information from computer.
ProMedica is a mission-based, not-for-profit integrated healthcare organizational headquartered in Toledo, Ohio. For more information, please visit www.promedica.org/about-promedica
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex/gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, familial or marital status, genetics, or any other legally protected category. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a job with ProMedica, please contact email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug-Free Workplace