Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D is seeking a creative, extremely organized, and enthusiastic Human Capital Intern for the upcoming academic term, with the possibility of extension. The Intern will work directly with R4D’s Human Capital team on a variety of ongoing and new projects related to compliance, recruitment and retention, social media sourcing, documentation management, new employee onboarding and orientation, employee benefits, employee management, and much more!
As the Human Capital Intern, you will provide support to these two dynamic teams working to implement new systems and processes as the organization continues to grow and globalize. You will be exposed to a variety of projects, which may include: documentation review, form and policy reconciliations and audit, budget tracking and updates, system documentation management, and other projects as they come available. You will help with the strategic development and direction of the team and will make significant contributions to new systems development, including in collaboration with other practice areas at R4D.
The successful Human Capital Intern will be highly-motivated, a creative problem solver; have strong analytical, communication, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results. We are a team that is resourceful, responsible, tenacious, high-energy, and always has a positive attitude.
This position is based in Washington, DC and will report to the HR Officer and Data Analyst. R4D will permit you to temporarily work from your chosen remote location during the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the organization has determined it is safe to reopen to the Washington, DC office, you will be expected to relocate to the Washington, DC area.
Compensation and Length of Internship
This is a paid internship. R4D interns receive DC minimum wage, currently set at $15.20/hour. This Human Capital Internship will be for a period of three (3) months and can be extended up to twelve (12) months. We are open to flexible hours. A minimum of twenty (20) hours per week is required, with the possibility of increasing up to thirty (30) hours per week.
This internship is designed to be both educational and practical and provides a unique opportunity to gain valuable experience related to HR and Recruiting functions within a vibrant, and rapidly growing international non-profit organization. In this position, the Intern will have the opportunity to enhance and further develop their skills and understanding of HR and its interactions with domestic and international employees, programs, and other support departments in order to foster a positive and successful work environment.
- Reports to the HR Officer and Data Analyst and supports the Human Capital team
- Human Resources
- Supports the HR Officer and Data Analyst, Senior HR Manager, Senior HR Business Partner, and the Chief Human Capital Officer
- Creation and maintenance of personnel files;
- Help organize and prepare materials for all-staff training sessions, including wellness events and other staff development opportunities;
- Assist with research, drafting, and editing new policies, processes, and/or initiatives rolled out by the Human Capital team;
- Assist with the establishment of international offices by researching local laws, local benefits, immigration, work permit, and visa requirements;
- Manage the Senior HR Manager’s email;
- Triage and respond to daily employee emails and requests;
- Lead scheduling for the department and aid Chief Human Capital Officer in managing their calendar;
- Support event planning and coordination;
- Conduct regular audits of life insurance invoices to ensure all new hires and terminations are reflected in billing;
- Assist with credit card reconciliation.
- Supports the Director of Recruitment and Hiring, Senior Recruitment Officer, and Global Mobility and Recruitment Officer with full-lifecycle recruitment processes, including:
- Support full-cycle recruitment processes;
- Create Job Requisitions (JRs) in ATS;
- Review and edit Job Descriptions (JDs); advertise/post JDs to R4D website and other applicable job boards, listservs, and alma maters;
- Screen PA and SPA applicants in ATS and create shortlist to send to Recruiters for review’
- Support daily management of ATS and applicant workflow in system;
- Assist with annual EEO and AAP compliance tracking, as needed;
- Work with the Communications team to put together relevant/updated outreach materials.
- Assist Global mobility and Recruitment Officer with consolidating employee work authorization statuses and application processes.
- Cross Functional Responsibilities
- Run reports in ATS for job requisitions
- Collect feedback from new hires on candidate experience
- Schedule events, meetings, and trainings, and compile relevant materials in preparation;
- Update announcements, templates, and policies as needed and upload to Sharepoint workspace; support management of Sharepoint workspace;
- Support growth of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives at R4D;
- Track and update budget for both HR and Recruitment;
- Input and reconcile invoices for the Human Capital department;
- Support Documentation management in the Human Capital OneDrive;
- Take and compile meeting notes and distribute to Human Capital team.
- Final year undergraduate student or first-year graduate student, or prior experience in an office environment;
- Strategic and creative problem solver who is adept at developing efficient systems and decision-making processes;
- Ability to master updating budgets, tracking and managing resources, and/or supporting recruitment and program management efforts;
- Highly collaborative and approachable team member who is enthusiastic about supporting the team and working closely with others at R4D;
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present complicated and detailed data to team leads;
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability;
- Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment across multiple projects and work streams with competing time/resource demands;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Enthusiasm, energy, good judgment, and humor;
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.).