The Making Hope Happen Foundation is a nonprofit organization committed to uplifting the community of San Bernardino and supporting the San Bernardino City Unified School District. We are ideally looking for a local resident and college graduate who can help us to grow our organization by ensuring transparency, accuracy, and compliance of our accounting reporting systems and the effectiveness of our donor database system. If you are a methodical thinker with strong attention to detail, experience in nonprofit accounting practices, and an action-oriented passion for helping youth find their successful place in our local community, we want to hear from you.
- Manage accounts payable processes, obtaining approval, and preparing checks for signature to avoid unnecessary finance changes.
- Manage payroll processing including annual filings (W-2’s and 1099’s) for employees.
- Manage accounts receivable for contracts and grants to ensure cash flow to support the projects they fund.
- Prepare and make bank deposits at least once per week.
- Post all financial transactions and required journal entries into the Foundation’s accounting system accurately and in a timely manner for appropriate allocations across funding sources.
- Allocate investment earnings monthly to appropriately credit endowments
- Managing cash balances in accordance with policy to ensure positive cash flow and maximize investment earnings.
- Preparing monthly financial reports for the Board of Directors.
- Facilitate the Foundation’s annual financial audit by supporting an auditor’s access to information and documentation.
- Participate in the development of the annual organizational budget and project/grant/event budgets.
- Post contributions, pledges, and pledge payments accurately to donor accounts.
- Ensure timely mailing of pledge reminders to assist donors in fulfilling their philanthropic intent.
- Produce receipts for donations and thank you letters within 3 days of receiving a contribution.
- Produce donor reports and forecasts to support fundraising and program planning efforts.
- Set up workflows to support fundraising efforts as requested.
- Other duties which may be assigned in support of the Foundation’s success.
- Commitment to the mission of the Making Hope Happen Foundation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or nonprofit management, or a comparable combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of nonprofit accounting principles as demonstrated by two years of high-level bookkeeping or accounting experience.
- Ability to use technology efficiently including Microsoft Office, Google Suite, standard accounting software.
- Ability to pass Live Scan Background Check
ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge and/or Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Experience with Aplos Accounting Software
- Be organized and action-oriented; a self-starter
- Work independently or as part of a team
- Ability to work with people of all ages and cultural backgrounds
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Graduate of the San Bernardino City Unified School District
- Resident of San Bernardino
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations