The San Diego Natural History Museum is looking to hire a temporary part-time, Entomology Lab Technician to assist with various projects within the Entomology Department.
The Entomology Lab Technician assists the Curator of Entomology and Entomology Collections Manager to perform a variety of both technical and routine duties, especially those related to the successful completion of department grants and contracts. The primary responsibilities of the incumbent will be to image and database specimens, assist with data management associated with the collection, and improve the quality of the collection.
• Specimen digitization: Imaging and databasing of scientific specimens, including high resolution photography of insects and processing of image files; database entry of specimen information using standardized procedures and ensuring data quality control for various projects within the department
• Collections management: Careful handling of natural history specimens; facilitating collection growth and improving use and access of collection; processing incoming specimens, packing and sending approved specimen loans to researchers in a timely manner; accessioning and filing of specimens into collection; pest management procedures, improving specimen storage by implementing current housing practices and protocols
• Research and contract assistance: Taxonomic research and identification of insects; assistance with field work and biological contract work, as available’
• High School Diploma or GED
• Generalized familiarity with computers, smartphones, tablets, and keyboarding.
• Minimum of 3 months of experience working with biological collections (preferred).
Time Commitment: Candidates must be able to commit to at least 8 hours per week, but are unlikely to be asked to work more than 20 hours per week. Hours of work fall within regular weekday museum operating hours only (7am-530pm).
Pay: $16/hour provisionally until 30 April 2022 (dependent on continued funding availability)
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter outlining your interest in the position, résumé, and three references to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed beginning 20 October 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.