The Bicycle Education Intern will gain firsthand experience in all aspects of bicycle education programming in one of the largest bicycle advocacy organizations in the country. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition provides free classes for all experience levels – from those learning to ride a bike for the first time as an adult, to more advanced riders looking to ride in inclement weather. You can learn more about the different classes we offer here. This internship is eligible for remote applicants.
What you’ll learn:
- Tactics for engaging people from many backgrounds in learning bike safety and confidence on the street.
- Program coordination, including constituent outreach & engagement, and logistics management.
- How to use non-profit industry-standard databases and applications to engage with a wide audience.
- Skills in developing bicycle education curricula.
Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Grassroots outreach with local businesses, neighborhood groups, residents, families and members to coordinate bike education classes
- Member engagement, database management, email/phone communication, and execution of classes, including:
- Managing pre- and post- class logistics and communications
- Class scheduling and promotion
- Ability to pursue independent projects, based on intern’s skills and areas of interest
Required skills or abilities:
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized and self-starter; ability to take on new tasks quickly and easily
- Comfort riding a bike in an urban environment or interest in learning how to
- Interest in and passion for equity, education, and transportation justice
Desired skills or abilities:
- Experience in education programming or outreach
- Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, and/or Tagalog
- Graphic design skills and experience (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Experience with Salesforce or other databases, Google Apps (Docs, Calendar, Gmail, etc.), Eventbrite, WordPress and/or SurveyMonkey helpful but not required
Required dates for this internship include:
- Fall internship orientation on October 7th, 2021
- $16.32 per hour with a 10 -15 hour/week minimum commitment
- One year’s free membership to the SF Bicycle Coalition
- Firsthand experience in one of the country’s oldest and largest bicycle advocacy organizations
- A behind-the-scenes view of a bustling nonprofit organization
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including:
- Networking with SF Bicycle Coalition staff and professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to urban planning, transportation and nonprofits
- Training on and experience with nonprofit industry-standard software (Salesforce, Basecamp, etc.)
- Presentations and trainings aimed at development of professional workforce skills
This is chiefly a Monday through Friday internship, with occasional evenings and weekends. Interns are expected to make a three-month commitment, which may be extended.
Write a compelling cover letter and resume, and submit using the form. Be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of Color, women, and non-binary folks are strongly encouraged to apply. The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation or political orientation.