Apply Here, https://jobs.sjsu.edu/en-us/job/499484/scholarly-communications-digital-scholarship-librarian
The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library at San José State University (San José , CA) seeks a service-oriented, innovative, and collaborative individual for the full-time, tenure-track position of Scholarly Communications & Digital Scholarship Librarian. This position is one of three that will be hired in 2021–STEM Librarian, iSchool Librarian, and Scholarly Communications & Digital Scholarship Librarian–providing a supportive cohort to the successful candidate. The Library is striving to increase the diversity of its faculty and encourages all members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Collaborating with other members of the Collections & Scholarly Communications unit and under the general guidance of the Faculty Director for Collections & Scholarly Communications, the Scholarly Communications & Digital Scholarship Librarian will promote the campus institutional repository, SJSU ScholarWorks, as well as develop and support initiatives involving authors’ rights, copyright and Creative Commons licensing, open access publishing, and the creation and preservation of digital scholarship. The successful candidate will serve as a liaison to assigned departments. As a faculty member, the librarian engages in library and university governance and scholarship, which includes research, scholarship, and creative activities required for tenure and promotion. Individuals with coursework or experience in scholarly communications and digital scholarship are encouraged to apply. The position will be hired at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian.
The SJSU Library brings people, ideas, and information together through its spaces, resources, and expertise to facilitate community building, innovation, and knowledge creation. We invest in employee professional growth and development. The Library strives to provide student-centered learning experiences and is committed to bringing anti-racism practices into its services.
This position is an excellent opportunity for librarians interested in launching a career at an institution that is a national leader in serving underrepresented minority students. SJSU has been ranked #1 in increasing student upward mobility, particularly among underrepresented, first-generation, and Pell-qualified students. As a librarian at SJSU, participation in the Research, Tenure, and Promotion (RTP) process is required. This position is represented by the California Faculty Association (CFA) and covered by its contract.
- Master’s degree in library science or equivalent (MSLS, MLIS, MALS etc.) from a library school program accredited by the American Library Association at the time of hire.
- Coursework and/or experience with scholarly communications topics, such as open access publishing, copyright and Creative Commons, and data management
- Coursework and/or experience in the use and application of tools and methods that support digital scholarship
- Coursework and/or experience in delivering information literacy instruction and reference service.
- Evidence of potential to maintain an ongoing agenda of scholarly research and professional development at appropriate levels
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population, as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experience
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- One or more years of experience in supporting scholarly communications or digital scholarship initiatives
- Demonstrated experience with digital tools and approaches, such as Adobe Spark, WordPress, Drupal, and/or data visualization.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with academic librarians and staff, teaching faculty, and students in a rapidly changing information environment
- Provide input, planning, and instruction in various aspects of scholarly communications programs and initiatives, including open access, copyright and Creative Commons licensing, research & publication lifecycles, and data management requirements
- Assess campus digital scholarship needs and identify opportunities to support faculty and student digital scholarship creation, access, and preservation
- Collaborate with library and campus entities on the implementation, management, assessment, and promotion of the San José State University institutional repository
- Monitor advancements in scholarly communication, digital scholarship, and related legislative and funding initiatives, and communicate their implications to campus stakeholders
- Organize programs on issues related to scholarly communication and digital scholarship for the library and the campus community
- Participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committees and other service assignments.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams, library governance, professional development activities, and university service
- Build a record of progressive scholarly and professional achievement to fulfill the University requirement of retention, tenure, and promotion
- Address the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language, and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials and teaching strategies
- Serve as liaison to assigned departments
Starting Date: Summer/Fall 2021
Eligibility – Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
For priority consideration, submit the following documents by April 25, 2021:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- statement of teaching interests and philosophy that describe the role library instruction plays in supporting student success across a diverse population (1 page, single spaced)
- research interests/plan (1 page, single spaced)
- three references with contact information
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application. For further inquiries, please visit the FAQ page or directly contact the Search Committee Chair, Anamika Megwalu <email@example.com>.
Please note: Original transcripts of terminal degree will be required of applicants invited to the virtual interview. Three (3) letters of recommendation will be required for appointment. This position will remain open until filled.