SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Conrad Prebys Center for Chemical Genomics at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is seeking a part-time temporary Lab Assistant I/II. This position is ideal for anyone, especially students, seeking hands-on bench experience working in drug discovery environment. The candidate will be trained on a variety of fundamental laboratory tasks and techniques, which will augment coursework in the biological sciences and chemistry.
Primary duties include but are not limited to assisting with routine laboratory experiments, preparing media as directed, maintaining bacterial or mammalian cell cultures, performing cloning and cell transfection to purify proteins, establish stable cell lines and select clones and other lab tasks as directed. The work schedule for this position will be between 10-20 hours per week from May through August, and may be extended if needed.
The Center’s vision is to be the world’s leading academic drug discovery and development organization, an epicenter for innovative approaches to accelerate the discovery of new drugs to help save lives and treat disease. This is an exciting opportunity to directly support scientists focused on biomedical and drug discovery projects with an end goal of ultimately benefiting patients.
- Assists scientists in laboratory experiments
- Performs routine laboratory tasks and experiments
- Supports bacterial or mammalian cell cultures
- Supports generation of transfection vectors and establishing cell lines expressing constructs of interest
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Hands-on experience in college-level biological science laboratory courses or completion of an Associate’s degree in one of the biological sciences or chemistry are preferred.
- At least six months prior laboratory experience is desired.
- Candidates with laboratory experience may be considered for Level II.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Desire and ability to learn and use new techniques, instrumentation, and software
- Possess strong attention to detail
- Be responsible, organized, motivated and a problem solver
- Ability to work positively and enthusiastically as part of a team
- Have strong time management skills
- Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with PC Operating Platforms and Microsoft Office
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children’s disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.