Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
A Lab Assistant I/II position is available in the Chanda Lab.
The Dr. Chanda’s laboratory is interested in unraveling the molecular bases for complex host-pathogen interactions. They are studying cellular proteins required for both influenza A and retrovirus/HIV infection and investigating novel molecules that regulate, or respond to, Pattern Recognition Receptor (PRR) signaling. Their aim is elucidate the repertoire of host proteins required for viral infection, and understand the molecular strategies adapted by these viruses as countermeasures to innate immune responses.
Under specific direction, the Lab Assistant will perform routine repetitive laboratory tasks, which may include the preparation of laboratory supplies and/or equipment, and other related duties and tasks as assigned.
- Assists teams and core staff with all aspects of laboratory projects and experiments using standard laboratory techniques under supervision
- Assists with autoclaving, media/buffer preparations, stocking and maintenance of inventory/supplies, and other related duties and tasks, as required
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Knowledge or experience in a scientific research laboratory is desired
- Candidates with prior lab experience may be considered for Level II
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Willingness and ability to work with rodents, biohazardous material and/or potential carcinogens
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Be responsible, organized, and possess strong attention to detail
- Possess strong time management and organizational skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children’s disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.