Position Title: Postdoctoral Associate
SARS-CoV-2 is currently a major cause of death worldwide. Although vaccines are emerging, new therapies are urgently required. We recently developed a novel approach that permits the killing of SARS-CoV-2-infected cells while preserving non-infected cells. This new approach exploits the viral replication machinery (specifically the SARS-CoV-2 polymerase) to induce the expression of killer genes (diphtheria toxin fragment A) which triggers a rapid specific death of viral-infected cells, but not non-infected cells.
A postdoctoral position is immediately available to further study the safety and efficacy of this novel “killing” approach both in vivo and in vitro using reporter (Luciferase, GFP, etc.) SARS-CoV-2 strains that permits in live monitoring in mice of the elimination of SARS-CoV-2 infected cells.
Must possess a recent (less than one year) Ph.D. in immunology, virology, microbiology, or a relevant field from a credited university or institute. A pending doctoral degree (to be obtained in a few months) is also considered.
- Have a good publishing record with first-author papers.
- Have some experience with viruses, mouse models and cell culture.
- Experience with PCR, ELISA, flow-cytometry, and/or other molecular techniques.
- Competent computer and analytical skills.
- Fast learner, independent and hard worker, and diligent team member with great organization and communication/writing skills, time management, self-motivation, and maturity.
- Publications: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/philippe.gallay.1/bibliography/40512871/public/?page=1
Preferred Qualifications: Background in virology and/or mouse work expertise.
Compensation: $58,240 per year.
This position works in a laboratory and vivarium environment (Biosafety level 2 and 3). Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.