POSITION TITLE: Kitchen Staff
REPORTS TO: Head Chef
WORK LOCATION: Sitka Fine Arts Campus
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Full-Time (40 hrs/week)
Sitka Fine Arts Camp’s (SFAC’s) kitchen staff is responsible for the completion of all prep cooking, serving, and dishwashing duties. Kitchen staffers will assist the head chef with food preparation and serving food. Kitchen Staff will make a flexible 2-week rotating menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner including vegan and vegetarian dishes, gluten-free options and a variety of desserts. We cook for resident college students, faculty, long-term tenants and visiting artists.
This is an ideal entry-level culinary job for someone with an interest in food. It would also be an excellent fit for an experienced cook looking for a low-key kitchen environment. Back-of-house catering experience is a plus. There is room to be creative and self-driven, and to learn and grow as a cook.
Kitchen staff must comply with all applicable sanitation, health and personal hygiene standards and following established food production programs and procedures.
SFAC works hard to minimize COVID risk. SFAC’s kitchen team is 3-4 people, all vaccinated, and kitchen staff wear masks while at work. Kitchen staff serve 15-60 people per meal, and all diners are required to wear masks while being served. Kitchen staff have no on-the-job exposure to the general public.
- Assists head chef and cook in preparing food using established production procedures and systems.
- Complies with established sanitation standards, personal hygiene and health standards. Observes proper food preparation and handling techniques.
- Stores food properly and safely, marking the date and item.
- Monitor and re-stock Dining Hall salad bar, cereal bar, and beverage bar.
- Reports necessary equipment repair and maintenance to supervisor.
- Correctly prepares all food served following standard recipes and special diet orders.
- Apportions food for serving.
- Keeps work area neat and clean at all times; cleans and maintains equipment used in food preparation.
- Sort and rinse dirty dishes, glasses, tableware and other cooking utensils and places them in racks to send through dish machine.
- Sort and stack clean dishes. Carry clean dishes to the hot line and other proper storage areas. Rewash soiled dishes before delivering.
- Wash pots, pans and trays by hand.
- Remove trash and garbage to dumpster.
- Maintain and clean dishwashing area regularly.
- Fill/empty soak tubs with cleaning/sanitizing solutions.
- Sweep/mop floors.
- Conduct general dining hall and kitchen cleaning as directed.
- Wipe up any spills to ensure kitchen floors remain dry.
- Wash hands before touching clean dishes.
- Other duties as directed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prior experience in food production or catering preferred.
- Food handler card.
- Proof of COVID vaccination is required.
- Hardworking and efficient with an emphasis on speed and accuracy.
- Customer focus.
- Communication proficiency.
- Presentation skills.
- Ability to handle safely and efficiently standard kitchen tools and equipment.
- Ability to train others in the safe and efficient use of standard kitchen tools and equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment can be loud and busy. There are many kitchen hazards such as hot surfaces and liquids, sharp knives, and slippery floors. The employee is required to stand for long periods as well as walk, bend and stoop. The position requires working taste buds, ability to smell, feel with fingers and visually inspect, including close and distance vision. The position requires ability to use arms, hands and manipulate fingers to reach, stir, measure, pour, cut, chop, dice, decorate, etc.
The above is not intended to list all possible essential functions or requirements as they are subject to change. The employer reserves the right to revise or change this description. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the above essential duties and meet the physical demands. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet these requirements.
$16-20 an hour DOE
All full-time staff benefits as laid out in the SFAC Employee Handbook including vacation time, sick time, and 401k after one year of employment.