ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH OUR WEBSITE.
TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Unpaid Student Internship
Benefits Eligible: No
Line Manager: Chance Murray
Department: Impact Investment
Status: Part-time 20 hrs/wk unpaid
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
The Sorenson Impact Center (SIC) at the University of Utah David Eccles School of Business envisions a thriving world where all people are valued, communities prosper, and the measured impact of our actions guides decision making. The Center advances global impact through innovation in impact investing and finance, public policy and government spending, and corporate and social sector behavior with organizations across the globe, and utilizes world-class data science, impact storytelling and collaboration as key tools. As part of its mission to train future impact leaders, the Center integrates academic programming and experiential learning into each of its practice areas. To learn more about the Center and apply to the Student program, please visit https://www.sorensonimpact.com/student-program.
The Sorenson Impact Center is seeking student applicants to join the Impact Investing team as an impact investing student fellow. Impact Investing Student Fellows receive venture capital training and collaborate with leading social venture funds, banks, foundations, consulting firms, and social entrepreneurs to perform due diligence, to identify and recommend investments, and to grow businesses that have a social impact. This program provides unparalleled experiential education for students interested in impact investing while providing professional governance and investment rigor that sophisticated investors require. This is a fast paced, constantly changing environment with new projects starting frequently (watch a short YouTube video to learn more about what we do).
Students should consult with academic faculty to determine if this unpaid experience will earn credit.
- Gather information from the target company and industry experts
- Research and talk to existing references and customers of the target company
- Research potential competitors to the target company
- Research and talk with technical/business consultants to evaluate the target company’s technology including IPs
- Conduct background checks on the current management of the target company
- Perform valuation analysis via modeling
- Prepare internal investment memos
- Present key findings and recommendations to Sorenson Impact Foundation and UVFII Investment Committee Members
Required Skills and Experience:
- Outstanding analytical skills, detail-oriented, proactive, and self-motivated
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to produce well designed professional Powerpoint presentations and Excel models
- A basic understanding of valuation analysis, financial statement analysis, and accounting
The dynamic nature of work means the student experience becomes more valuable with deeper levels of engagement. To facilitate this experience, students are expected to commit to 20 hours per week for a minimum of two semesters (continuation beyond the first semester is dependent upon meeting the appropriate level of performance). Please note this is an unpaid internship.
The Sorenson Impact Center strongly encourages diverse applicants (please circulate widely), especially those who self-identify as Black, Native or Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, non-binary, living with disabilities, neurodivergent, young, speak English as a second language, and others from overlooked / underestimated communities.
* Due to legal restrictions regarding student employment under certain Visa statuses, Sorenson Impact can not guarantee our ability to pay international students. For international students potentially selected, we commit to working with you and your institution to determine our ability to adequately compensate you for your time and energy. Please reach out with any questions.