Southern Oregon Education Service District’s Psychological Services Program is seeking a mental health counselor with relevant training and experience to work with students at all grade levels in rural public school settings in face-to-face environments. The focus of the position is to provide individualized or small group counseling for diverse students grades K-12 and to provide SEL support to teachers and students as facilitated trainings and classes.
Southern Oregon Education Service District has a position opening for a school counselor. This is an opportunity to join a passionate and professional group that serve all identified students, aged birth – 21, who live in the Southern Oregon area. As a counselor, you have the opportunity to help design and provide educational support services to students living and learning in their home communities. Oregon certification as a school counselor is required. This is a great opportunity to grow professionally and live in a beautiful part of the Pacific Northwest.
Southern Oregon ESD is located in the Rogue Valley, the cultural and economic heart of southern Oregon, home to legendary snow-skiing, white-water rafting, kayaking, hiking, fishing, as well as numerous cultural venues and events such as art galleries, the Britt Music Festivals, the Ashland Independent Film Festival, and the renowned Oregon Shakespeare Festival. For more information on living in Medford, please go to: https://www.travelmedford.org/portunity employer. SOESD provides a competitive salary and benefit package.
The School Counselor works with school psychologists and the districts’ educational teams to provide interventions and valuable resources for the educational advancement of students. Counselors work to engage students into the school setting, coordinating the integration of mental health services and other wrap-around support services. They identify academic options and individualize student’s educational plans while providing social/emotional supports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Others duties may be assigned. Essential duties of this position include:
1. Work directly with students and their families to promote high school graduation, post-secondary education, and career planning.
2. Serve and guide identified target students to develop decision-making skills, obtain information about themselves and accept increasing responsibilities for their own actions.
3. Assist students in developing skills in interpersonal relations and utilizing school and community resources.
4. Coordinate with school staff to provide social/emotional supports and the integration of mental health services by conducting strengths/needs assessments and developing educational plans with students and parents.
5. Confer with teachers, caseload counselors and administrators on wrap-around supports for students.
6. Serve as a referral resource to social service agencies and community resources. Integrate and coordinate mental health referrals and services.
7. Assist students in planning an appropriate program based on interest and ability and help them enroll in school programs.
8. Assists teachers and school staff in planning and conducting conferences with parents and community agencies.
9. Advise targeted students regarding school-related barriers, as well as family concerns, social needs, etc.
10. Keep all necessary records and reports up to date.
11. Assist with parent engagement activities.
12. Conduct home visits.
13. Establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with SOESD employees, local education agency representatives and others contacted during the course of the workday.
14. Follow established SOESD policies and procedures.
15. Perform physical requirement unaided or with assistance of reasonable accommodations (see below).
16. Perform other job related duties as assigned by supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
1. A valid State of Oregon School Counseling License, or Oregon Professional Counseling License
2. Master’s degree in a related field
3. Strong understanding of academic options for youth, including high school and postsecondary supports
4. Experience working with at-risk student populations
5. Knowledge of effective guidance techniques including groups and individuals
6. Experience in K-12 public education
7. Proficient oral and written communication skills in English
8. The ability to follow oral and written instructions
9. The ability to effectively work and communicate with students, parents, and school personnel from diverse cultures and/or backgrounds
10. The ability to work harmoniously with others
11. Proficient in the use of computer and Internet based applications, including but not limited to email and systems applications
12. The ability to learn new automated systems as they are brought online by the District
13. Valid Oregon Driver License
Note: Any equivalent combination of experience, certification, and training/education, deemed by the district, which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of this job may be used as an alternative to this prerequisite.
SOESD Benefits: (For .50 FTE and Over)
Southern Oregon ESD contributes payments for health, dental and vision insurance premiums for qualified employees. Employer-paid PERS, 9 paid holidays, a generous sick, vacation and discretionary (personal) leave packet is also provided to qualified employees.
If interested in seeking employment at Southern Oregon ESD, please apply directly by visiting our website at http://www.soesd.k12.or.us/jobssoesd/ openings and look for posting #1646.
Here you will find a complete job description, requirements and application. To be considered for this position, a formal application must be submitted through our website.
Includes medical, dental, vision & prescription insurance
Monthly premium deducted pre-tax
Southern Oregon ESD contributes up to $1960.00 per month (family coverage)
Health Savings Accounts for high deductible plans
Flexible Spending Accounts – medical, day-care expenses Optional Coverage for Additional Life, AD&D, Short Term Disability Insurance through Aflac or American Fidelity403(b) through Carruth Compliance Consulting
Mercy Flights Membership
PERS – Public Employee Retirement System
Southern Oregon ESD pays the 6% employee contribution on behalf of each employee
Length of Position: .50-1.0 FTE / 190 Day School Year
Salary: Per 2021-2022 Licensed Collective Bargaining Agreement: $51,521.00 – $84,460.00 annual range
Immediate Supervisor: Department Administrator
FLSA Status: Exempt
The following physical requirements are essential functions of the School Counselor position:
1. Stand/Walk:……………………….[ ]None [ ]1-4 Hrs/Day [X]4-6 Hrs/Day [ ]6 8 Hrs/Day
2. Sit/Sit on the Floor:………………[ ]None [ ]1-4 Hrs/Day [X]4-6 Hrs/Day [ ]6-8 Hrs/Day
3. Drive:……………………………….. [ ] None [X ]1-4 Hrs/Day [ ]4-6 Hrs/Day [ ]6-8 Hrs/Day
4. Bending:…………………………….[ ] Frequently [X] Occasionally [ ] Limited [ ] Not At All
5. Squat:………………………………. [ ] Frequently [ ] Occasionally [X] Limited [ ] Not At All
6. Climb Stairs:……………………….[ ] Frequently [X] Occasionally [ ] Limited [ ] Not At All
7. Single Grasping: …………………[X] Frequently [ ] Occasionally [ ] Limited [ ] Not At All
8. Pushing:…………………………….[ ] Frequently [ ] Occasionally [X] Limited [ ] Not At All
9. Pulling: ……………………………..[ ] Frequently [ ] Occasionally [X] Limited [ ] Not At All
10. Fine Manipulation:…………….[X] Frequently [ ] Occasionally [ ] Limited [ ] Not At All
11. Repetitive Foot Controls……[ ] Frequently [X] Occasionally [ ] Limited [ ] Not At All
12. Lifting (less than 25 lbs): ……[ ] Frequently [X] Occasionally [ ] Limited [ ] Not At All
13. Lifting (25 50 lbs): …………….[ ] Frequently [ ] Occasionally [X] Limited [ ] Not At All
14. Lifting (50 75 lbs): …………….[ ] Frequently [ ] Occasionally [ ] Limited [X] Not At All
15. Lifting (75 100 lbs): …………..[ ] Frequently [ ] Occasionally [ ] Limited [X] Not At All
16. Shift position quickly………….[ ] Frequently [ ] Occasionally [X] Limited [ ] Not At All
17. Strength / Endurance…………[ ] Frequently [ ] Occasionally [X] Limited [ ] Not At All