Southwest Strategies is seeking a full-time manager to direct project teams and deliver strategic communications support for a large utility client and other investor-owned utilities in Northern California.
We seek people who are creative and have a passion for building and maintaining strategic relationships with community members, media, civic organizations, and elected officials and staff.
Southwest Strategies is always focused on building leaders in our industry and community. We want managers who get energized about mentoring others and leading projects while supporting staff in their growth.
Who We Are
We are a full-service public affairs, outreach and strategic communications firm, specializing in public outreach, government relations, and social media/digital advocacy. Get to know our work through some of our case studies.
- Collaborate with staff and executive team members to develop outreach plans and strategic communications for clients
- Manage a large number of subconsultants and direct their job tasks during emergency situations
- Act as the primary point of contact for clients; maintain communication, address any concerns that they may have, present communication strategies, and ultimately build trust
- Manage team project strategy and deadlines for each client, assign tasks to support staff and monitor progress throughout the project, and communicate status updates to clients
- Collaborate with graphic designers on branding strategies to create impactful campaigns that meet objectives and budget parameters
- Handle crisis and emergency communications to counter negative publicity
- Maintain an understanding of current public affairs and communications best practices, tactics and tools to provide strategic direction to clients
- 4-7 years previous Public Affairs, Public Relations or Community Relations experience required
- Proven success in managing and implementing internal communications related to complex issues and change management
- Experience managing comprehensive and complex multi-level projects with multiple team members
- Experience working with public or quasi-public agencies to gather feedback and disseminate information to underserved communities.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, Digital Media, Political Science, Public Affairs or Public Administration required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with AP Style and standard rules of grammar
- Superior organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Dynamic and creative thinker
- Ability to balance team and individual responsibilities
- Confidence to take initiative and problem solve
- Ability to delegate and prioritize client deliverables
- Forward thinking and strategic mindset
- Social media and digital advocacy expertise, including management, advertising and targeting preferred
- Experience with transportation and energy industries preferred
- Fluency in Spanish a bonus!
Job Location: Walnut Creek, CA (currently remote)