The Multimedia Journalist (MMJ) role is responsible for researching, enterprising, developing, writing, shooting, editing, producing and delivering live presentation of local, compelling, creative and original news stories on deadline while capturing quality visual content. Contributes to special features and stories. Creates impactful and compelling content for the viewers in our local communities. Participates in coordinating coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Research, pitch, enterprise, write, capture quality visual content, edit news stories and produce creative, original and compelling own stories for multiple platforms.
- Develop and cultivate a wide network of sources within the community and establishes a community presence outside of the newscast.
- Generate original story ideas and develop fresh angles/perspectives and enterprise pieces for the stories of the day and responsible for development of news stories from conception to completion.
- Produce original content for an assigned newscast or news series.
- Partner with legal team to ensure news content and materials meet legal requirements and help mitigate risk to the company.
- Identify long and short-term story ideas, research and discover the content and set up interviews.
- Research and verify information for original news stories by being resourceful in using beat sources, contacts and leaders and verifying facts.
- Deliver news reports, including live ad-lib and recorded reports while demonstrating energy, confidence, professional appearance and voice quality.
- Report within assigned deadlines.
- Organize material, determine angle or emphasis and write stories accordingly.
- Combine video, audio and graphics to tell the story effectively.
- Work with assignment desk editors and production staff and independently in the newsgathering process.
- Responsible for representing channel in a professional manner.
- Craft smart, appealing and accurate headlines.
- Strategically engage in social media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Strong story development skills to submit original story ideas on a daily basis
- Excellent news judgement and driven by the 24-hour news cycle
- Ability to edit stories as necessary
- Live shot experience required
- Ability to develop sources, work a beat, and break stories
- Strong on-camera skills
- Experience with bonded cellular technology
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel
- Ability to handle breaking news on-air
- Proven ability to report live stories
- Ability to shoot video
- Must be a self-motivated and have the ability to build relationships
- Must have editing skills
- Must be adept at social media
- Must use curiosity and have a sense of urgency to build compelling stories about the local community and community members
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving
- Ability to drive a company vehicle to and from assigned location while obeying all traffic laws
- Valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence
Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related field or comparable television work experience preferred.
Related Work Experience
- 3+ Years Television News Reporting experience
- Experience working in a 24 hour news channel preferred
- Work inside in a climate controlled environment and outside throughout the year and may be subjected to various weather conditions that could include extreme heat or cold conditions
- Ability to work under time pressure deadlines and willing and able to work different shifts or longer shifts due to “breaking news” and severe weather emergencies
- Ability work weekends and holidays
- Lifting and carrying up to 30 pounds
Charter Communication is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability
Our Commitment During COVID-19 Your health and safety is important to us, as such we’re using virtual recruiting tools to safely meet with qualified candidates. We are working in the office, following CDC guidelines.
Get to Know Us Charter Communications is known in the United States by our Spectrum brands, including: Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach. When you join us, you’re joining a strong community of more than 95,000 individuals working together to serve more than 31 million customers in 41 states. Watch this video to learn more.
Who You Are Matters Here We’re committed to growing a workforce that reflects our communities, and providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement. Learn about our inclusive culture.