- We’re redefining what’s possible in public education. We set out to tackle this education crisis with a groundbreaking school design that delivers a rigorous, whole-child education to students from all backgrounds. Today, as the fastest growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York, our network of 47 K-12 schools outperforms every district in the state, proving irrefutably that all children are capable of excellence.
About Success Academy Charter Schools
- Success Academy is a high-achieving, leading-edge network of 47 K-12 public charter schools serving over 20,000 scholars throughout New York City. We are redefining what’s possible in public education.
- Success Academy welcomes candidates from all backgrounds who understand that the work we do is important, and are looking for a career where they can swiftly build a professional skill set while being challenged, supported, and valued.
- At Success, non- academic subjects aren’t ‘extra’ but essential. Scholar Talent and electives serve as critical, creative outlets for scholars to explore and develop their passions and talents in athletics, chess, debate and visual and performing arts. We expect scholar talent teachers to be masters of their craft and share their passion, talent and experience in the classroom.
- We are looking for a results-driven Chess Teacher to join our community.
In this role, you will:
- Build a classroom culture in which scholars develop a love for chess and enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Teach a rigorous chess curriculum to scholars that begins with chess basics and progresses to checkmate patterns and tactics
- Coach and develop a high-performing team of scholars to compete in city, state, and national chess tournaments
- Invest parents by coordinating and leading family chess nights and internal network chess tournaments; and
- Engage in training and collaborating with chess teachers and leaders across the network to benefit from targeted feedback and professional development related to instruction and content
- Support our high performing competitive teams by coaching at tournaments at least 12 Saturdays per school year
We invite you to apply if you:
- Have or will receive a Bachelor’s degree by Spring 2021
- Achieved outstanding academic results
- Have an advanced understanding of the game of chess (tournament experience a plus)
- Are passionate about chess and learning
- Have teaching experience with a record of propelling student’s understanding and love of chess
- Set ambitious goals for yourself and others, and are not afraid of putting in the hard work it takes to achieve them
- Have confidence and presence — You enjoy taking the lead and inspiring others with your passion and commitment
- Enjoy collaborating with others (i.e., playing on an athletics team, or in a band or orchestra)
- Have leadership experience (i.e.leadership position on a club or team; experience overseeing/managing people or organizing activities)
- Pay strong attention to detail, and have experience juggling multiple responsibilities and planning around competing priorities
- Have experience working with a group of children
- Embody the character traits we value in our ETHOS – Excellence, Teamwork, Humor, Ownership, and making sure our Scholars are top of mind
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We actively seek applications from people of all backgrounds to strengthen our community and the perspectives needed to flourish in a multicultural world. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.Learn more about our philosophy, benefits, and team at https://jobs.successacademies.org/working-here/.