Summer Enrichment Program Instructor – Part-time (Temporary)
Desired Start Date: June 14, 2021
The Academy of Alameda is composed of two public charters – the Academy of Alameda Elementary School and the Academy of Alameda Middle School. It serves one of the most diverse student populations in the state and is committed to providing all students a world-class education including supporting students’ social-emotional development. In addition to providing students with deep learning experiences that are academically and emotionally engaging, students’ learning experiences in and out of the classroom are shaped by The Academy’s commitment to social justice.
The Academy of Alameda staff has an excellent reputation for connecting to its diverse families, providing students a strong academic foundation, and for building meaningful relationships in and between students, staff, and families. Finally, we take pride in our fierce commitment to our envisioned future of supporting all of our students’ success and that their destinies are not determined by their demographics.
The Summer Enrichment Program Instructor will be an energetic, positive and caring role model that encourages the creativity and growth of our students. They will be responsible for planning, leading, and implementing academic and enrichment programs and experiences for our students that are aligned with the school’s curriculum. They will be responsible for the general safety of the students in our program.
- We are looking for a candidate who exhibit AoA’s Core Values:
- We are committed to supporting equitable student achievement results and integrating social justice concepts into our school program.
- We value student and staff diversity as it provides for deeper understanding, empathy and richer learning opportunities.
- We continually improve our practice individually, and as an organization in order to meet our students’ needs.
- We have a collective responsibility to support all of our students’ academic success and social-emotional well-being.
- We continually build caring relationships within and between our staff, students and families.
What You Will Do:
- Plan, design and lead high-quality academic and enrichment lesson plans
- Provide homework assistance
- Identify and respond to student behavior through restorative practices
- Maintain accurate daily attendance records
- Establish and maintain professional relations and show patience with parents, teachers and other staff
- Attend weekly after school program staff meetings
- Follow established policies, procedures and processes as found in the Family and Employee Handbooks
- Be punctual for work and avoid making appointments during scheduled work time
- Perform other related duties and special projects as assigned/required by supervisor or site administrator(s)
What You Will Bring:
- Must have an (a) Associate Degree or higher, or (b) 48 or more college units, or (c) pass Instructional Aide exam.
- Must pass a criminal background check and TB test clearance
Skills & Requirements
- Experience working with youth in any educational or child care setting
- Prior Summer Enrichment Program Instructor experience is a plus
- Classroom experience and strong classroom management preferred
- Expertise in enrichment areas a plus (arts/performing arts, music, sports, etc.)
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations
Supervisor: After School Coordinator
This position is part-time (temporary) and follows a 4 week work commitment.
The Academy of Alameda is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce at all levels so that it reflects the demographics of the students and families that it serves. The Academy is committed to continually looking inward to dismantle policies and practices that lead to systemic racism.